Do you find it acceptable to trivialise serious, sensetive subjects such as losing a child, children getting hit by cars, etc?

Is it okay to post about these things out of shear boredom and amusement, then when it hurts someone tell them to move on? To lighten up? I think it's sick and cruel personally.
Sure feel free to post what you want, but it still doesn't make it right.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:18 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in About CafeMom

• Sorry, but having a friend who lost her daughter recently after being hit by a car I find it a little disturbing too.... I know it wasn't meant that way, but I can see how it could be considered inappropriate.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:37 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I don't see how she trivialized it. She also never said the child died or even got hurt. I know Superrmommyy, and I can pretty much guarantee you that she didn't mean it in the offensive way you're taking it. I highly doubt she was trying to make anyone who has ever had a child involved in any sort of injury feel bad.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I agree with LovingSAHMommy, Superrmommyy is a really nice lady and I am positive that she meant no harm at all. She is actually the first person to email me and basically welcome me when I came here to CM not so long ago. So don't be upset because she never meant to hurt anyone. Really, I believe this and I am a pretty good judge of character and if you ever needed something she would probably be the first to offer it to you. Feel better!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:44 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Sometimes we ALL get carried away, but the Ladies in this instance are actually really nice and Very caring. Everyone has an off day and in the end we can all relate to each other

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:49 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I was trying to explain why it is ok for her to post that. And she didn't deserve to be ripped a new one for it.

While I am sorry for your loss and wish it never happened to you, I also don't feel that we should keep our post to only non-controversial stuff just to keep someone from getting their feelings hurt.

That is why I said what I said. That I am sorry, but, the world can't stop for one person. It will move on regardless and everyone just has to try and fit in around it.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:50 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Well then why did she continue to rip into me after I shared something so personal? It's like rubbing salt in a wound. "

I read it all, and I think she was being defensive because you came at her, attacking her for her post. Like I said, because she didn't mean it in an offensive way, I think she felt very misunderstood and I think you were trying to make her look like a bad person because of her post.You have every right to do that, but you can't expect someone to not respond because more often or not, that's not gonna happen. I think this is all a big misunderstanding and that no one intentionally meant to hurt anyone else. Intentions can be hard to decipher on the internet, unfortunately.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:50 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• It's a public forum and everyday someone will ultimately get insulted or hurt but It is usually unintentional and hardly every directed at a specific individual (although I was called a foul name a few days ago) but whatever. But you can always report an answer with foul or threatening content and CM will delete it. There are sad posts that everyone can relate to and some even make me cry so I just pass right by the ones that I care not to read or participate in. So all in all most of the ladies here do not intentionally post hurtful things and if it in fact was hurtful to you I am sure they would not have posted it if they actually knew. Most of us are in the same boat and just like anywhere you may work or shop, people will say things to just piss you off so I say just let it roll off your back and think of the things in life that make you happy and move on.

ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 5:37 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• but out of all the things we could talk about, why that? Why is it neccessary? How would you feel if you were a victim of inclest and someone used that as a would you rather question to kill time on the computer! SAHM I always see you as reasonable in your answers. Please see the other link posted towards the question. I'll get it for you. "

No, I don't need to see any links. I can see how it would be hurtful towards you, but you need to understand the intent before taking offense. The point of her post was how horrible either option would be, therefore making it hard to choose. I honestly and truly do not think she meant it in an offensive way. Maybe she should have used more discretion, but I don't think she's an insensitive, careless person. She was probably just trying to think up two horrible scenarios to make it hard to choose.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:41 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• And to be honest...if I let everything on this site that could be offensive towards me upset me, I'd be miserable every time I was on here. I have had horrible things said to me. I've been told that just because I disagreed with someone politically that God should never have blessed me with children. Talk about offensive and horrible. However, I chose not to give that person the power to make me feel offended. I'm sorry she brought up painful memories and that you felt that she was trivializing it. If I thought her intent was to make anyone feel bad, I would have pointed it out myself.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:43 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I told her that I know she wasn't trying to hurt me in the end. It's at the end of the second post. I calmly shared with her why it hurt, and how seeing a post like that bothered me, just to help her understand. And Bradenismyson continues to lay into me, and post after post. It's all in the threads. It's not easy when the littlest of things such as a post make it repeat in your mind over and over. Once you get it in there it doesn't come out that easy. "

Don't give them the power to hurt you. Ignore the posts. That's just my recommendation, and what I would do. And thank you for calling me reasonable...if only my husband would agree with that, lol.I wish I knew who I was talking to, since you obviously recognize me on here, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 5:48 PM on Sep. 21, 2010