can my 5 month old have a jar of 2nd foods if.....?help:(

I add his formula to part of the jar to make it less thick? I have a reason why I want him to eat this and it's not because I'm in a hurry for him to try new foods. I got it from my baby shower so I did not buy it btw. Anyhow, he is teething so getting him to eat enough formula is difficult(he hates the sucking with sore gums-can't blame the little guy). I use oragel(baby) sometimes but don't want to get him accustomed to that. I use ice rings and I let him chew on my finger. Poor guy. We are going to be getting him more of his first foods when dh gets paid. His 2nd foods can last for 3 days. I feed him cereal btw but don't want to constipate him. Thanks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:21 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I never found the consistency of the 1st and 2nd foods to be all that different. If it is fruits or veggies then it should be fine. I'm pretty certain that I was using 2nd foods on my kids at 5 months anyways.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 5:26 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• He can but you really need to get him to take the formula. He will NOT get enough nutrition from the food. And he won't "get accustomed to" oragel. Use it if it works and as often as you need. It's not like a drug and he won't get addicted to it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 5:26 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• yeah they are just bigger jars of food! try teething tablets too! they work great they should be by the oragel at the store! try oatmeal instead of the cereal it worked for my daughter! good luck!
    Caroline2010

Answer by Caroline2010 at 5:26 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Normally, American pediatricians recommend that you wait until your baby is 6 months old to introduce solids. (In Europe and countries like Brazil and Russia, it is at four months.) We started our son on Organic Brown Rice Cereal mixed with Breast Milk when he was about 4 and half months. I would check with your pediatrician on that.
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 5:27 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• The food should be fine. Im pretty sure my kids used 2 my then. And teething tablets really are a life saver. They worked wonders for my kids and there all natural so they wont hurt ur little one. Good luck i know teething is horrible at times.
    tiffany0317

Answer by tiffany0317 at 5:31 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My pediatrician said to start 1st stage at 4 months and 2nd stage at 6 months.
    MommyElmo

Answer by MommyElmo at 5:32 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• He won't get the nutrition from the food that he needs. He needs protein and fat and baby food simply wont provide it. Try having him sip the formula from a regular cup (or sippy with the valve removed)... you can try freezing it too and feeding on a spoon like a slushie.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:40 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• 2nd foods arent any thicker mama. They just mix ingredients and add new ones in. He will be fine, you dont have to mix it. Just make sure you arent giving him anything he hasnt had from stage 1 without watching for allergies. Make sure the food isnt taking place of any formula though. Formula is most important!!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 6:13 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Its fine. I make my own baby food and I just make sure the first few times I feed him to be sure not to feed him any big lumps. Once I know he can handle it I let him feed himself.
    lmt_mom2010

Answer by lmt_mom2010 at 6:37 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• 2nd foods are moslty just in bigger jars and sometimes have more than one fruit or veggie. It should be fine. You can try feeding him formula from an open cup, it gets a little messy but works.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 7:14 PM on Sep. 21, 2010