At what age did you have your child start cleaning their room alone, alone without any help from mom or dad?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in General Parenting

• I say 7 or so, it also depends on the child. My oldest didnt start doing it until he was 9, but my younger ones were able to do it alone sooner.
    Anonymous

• My kids were around 8 years old, though they of course didn't do the kind of job I would do. I say that a child should start at least picking up toys, clothes, and making the bed by that age. Sometimes though if a room is extremely messy it is way too overwelming to clean alone- even at 12 years old. If you make it a daily chore from young to pick up everything off the floor and put it away then it does become a huge mess- dusting and vaccuming, etc should be done together so they learn how- though keep in mind it may never be up to your standards. :)
    candygirl1030

Answer by candygirl1030 at 9:00 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• It depends on the child and the mess. My kids all started cleaning their bedroom alone with a small mess around 3 but I would still have to go in first and tell them what exactly I wanted them to do. My 7 year old still gets overwelmed with a big mess!
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 9:14 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• My kids are 5 4 6 and 6. They clean their rooms all by themselves. Here is what I do... I made a chart with each day out of the month and on each day I have the first letter of their name on that date. If they cleaned their room that day they get a star. On Friday if anyone has FIVE STARS from cleaning their room the entire week they get to participate in something fun. If we are low on cash we go to the park, or make crafts at home...or if we have cash I will buy them a buck toy, or take them to get an ice cream. If any one has a star missing out of the week they don't get to participate. It sounds sad that one child gets to watch the others have fun, but I bet that only happens once...so far it has worked and the kids look forward to Friday. And instead of saying "GO CLEAN YOUR ROOM" I say "Who is going to earn their star today?" So I don't have to get involved at all!

Patrina1981

Answer by Patrina1981 at 9:24 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• 4-5 years of age.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:27 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I have always pushed my children to pick up after themselves, their toys, clothes, food, etc.. but I know that I was going to run behind them to make sure th messes were actually picked up to my standard, but at the age of 7, my son pretty much does it all on his own, other than maybe dust and vaccuum. My 5 year old is pretty close to doing it alone too.I guess it depends on the child.
    luvmymadkidtnd

Answer by luvmymadkidtnd at 7:37 PM on Oct. 20, 2008