Can kids with autism be extremely shy, where kids with Asperger's be more outgoing?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Health

• It all depends on the child. Often times autistic kids are assumed to be shy, when in reality they lack the communication skills necessary to start a conversation. Aspie kids aren't as behind in social skills, it may just appear that they are more outgoing.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 6:16 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Yes, but it depends on the kid.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:23 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• ok I was wondering because my daughter is supected of having autism, yet some say she just is extremely shy. I have been around aspie kids and they just talk and talk and seem so out going. I started to question her dx. She won't start a conversation ever, and she doesn't add much to any conversation, unless it is on her favorite topics.
    homeschoolin432

Answer by homeschoolin432 at 10:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2010