Anyone Else's Baby HATE Juice?

My son is almost 9 months old, and he hates juice! When he was just a couple of months old, he liked it! I had to give him diluted apple juice for constipation, and he would drink it willingly. Now, for the last few months, I can't get the kid to drink more than a sip. I wouldn't really worry about it, since it's mainly empty calories, but he also won't drink much water, and he's starting to self-wean off of the formula. He also won't touch a sippy cup. What in the world am I gonna do?

heather.huckaby

Asked by heather.huckaby at 8:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Wow I could have typed that exact same question! My son is the same way. He's 8 months old though. Hates juice and will scream if you show him a sippy cup. I'm curious to see what others say.
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 9:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• hmmm...cant help you honey :( josh hates juice but he'll drink water. maybe ask your ped?
    lululovexox

Answer by lululovexox at 10:16 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Keep offering the formula there is no need for a child to have juice at all. The newer pediatricians are recommending holding off on juice till well into toddler hood if not longer. There is a link between juice and weight problems.

Perhaps he is teething hence the perception of 'weaning' off of formula. Usually you would up his food intake during that time. Check his diapers and make sure he stays hydrated by continually offering formula. Also make sure to check his mouth for white patches that won't wipe off just in case thrush is the cause.

Anonymous

• When my son was like that the ped says he does not need the juice but to keep offering him the cup eventually he will pick it up and use it..it is odd to them..i used to put formula in the cup as well..took a month or so but he started slowly using his cup..gl to you!!!
    terri76

Answer by terri76 at 11:19 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• My son won't drink room temp. water. Maybe you could try an ice cup in it? He loves it! Also, my son wouldn't take a normal sippy cup. He will only drink from one with a straw
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 11:30 PM on Oct. 19, 2008