Why does daycares cost so much money?

I work at a fast food place and my whole pay check goes to daycare and it was the cheapest place in Williamstown....why cant they be cheaper for singel parents!!!

KayNevLilSweet2

Asked by KayNevLilSweet2 at 5:45 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in

• In reality, its SO cheap for what we are asking for - I know it seems like a ton because we are struggling to make it work also on 2 incomes and can barely do it but when you break it down, we pay $125 for 40 hours a week which in reality it just over $3/hour.. really.. that is NOTHING...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:46 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Can you not apply for subsidy?
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:46 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• have you tried to get day care assist? i have two kids and i payed 840 a month in daycare. but we couldnt get help with it cuz we made to much money. whatever!
    jamiethornton26

Answer by jamiethornton26 at 5:47 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• no they wont help me im a single mom and i only have 2 pay for one of my kids cause the other one goes to headstart...
    KayNevLilSweet2

Comment by KayNevLilSweet2 (original poster) at 5:48 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• They take into account what you make and what you pay out???
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 5:50 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I have worked in several daycares so I have experienced first hand what the money is spent on. First, the money is spent on paying the employees. There are state guidelines that says 1 teacher to "x" amount of kids. Second, the money is spent on utilities, rent or payment for the building, and the general cost of running a business. Third, the money is spent on the rooms so that they will meet state guidelines and specifications. There have been many times where the state would come and inspect the building and everything would be fine and then they come out a second time and say "oh, this needs to be changed" or you need it done this way, etc. Most daycare center owners don't actually see any profit until after being in business for 5 plus years.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:50 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• It's really expensive to run a daycare center. As one of the other ladies pointed out, you are really only paying $3-$4 an hour, it's truly a bargain. Have you looked into home daycare providers? They typically are less expensive than daycare centers.That sucks you can't get help, I'm sorry.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 6:10 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• The kids and parents get alot for the amount they pay--healthy nutritious meals and snacks, diapers, creams, safe care, outings, crafts, playmates etc... not a bad deal.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 6:20 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I feel for parents that have to put their child in daycare and can't afford it. I live in Texas and when we moved here, I had to go to work but the cost of daycare was so outrageous (we moved from Louisiana and it was a lot less there) that the only option I had was to work at the daycare so my child could go free and my paycheck would actually be worth something to our household. This was 12 years ago but the infants were $275.00 a week, and it didn't go down much as the child moved from age group to age group. One family had 4 kids, and paid $2800.00 a month. And the mom didn't work! And I know one place I worked at (I got fired because of how badly it was run) was NOT giving the parents their money's worth and I let one of the parents know and she told the owners and they fired me. I didn't care, I was going to leave anyway, couldn't work in a place like theirs.
    KimPippin

Answer by KimPippin at 2:34 PM on Sep. 25, 2010