Why do Daycares cost so much?

My daughter who is about to be 2 goes to daycare it is tehg cheapest i found in williamstown. Why cant daycares be cheaper for singel parents

KayNevLilSweet2

Asked by KayNevLilSweet2 at 5:47 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Their prices certainly don't reflect what they pay the teachers!!! At least let the money go to good use-I'm sure they'd have higher quality teachers and less turnover if they paid a decent wage!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:48 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• have you tried to get daycare assist? since you are a single mom you might be able to get help paying for it. i used to pay 840 a month in daycare for my two
    jamiethornton26

Answer by jamiethornton26 at 5:48 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Because people pay it... I mean, think about it. If everyone pulled their kids from daycare because the cost was to high, something tells me the price would lower rather quickly! Here it's $20 a day (no matter if they are there all day or not) per child... So for me, that's gonna be $60 a day - really? This is why I stay home now, because I didn't make that much a day!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:51 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• While I don't agree with a certain individual getting cheaper daycare then others at the facility I do agree that some daycares have some pretty out of control prices.

When I was working I looked for a daycare for our DD one school wanted 250 a week. We are in Texas and the cost of living does not reflect their prices. I will say that the cheapest we found for a school I was willing to put her at was 175 a week.

You have to remember that cost is not everything when it comes to daycares. Lower cost, sadly, often means lower quality of care. There's a daycare in my town that cost about 80 dollars a week but you also have to worry about getting your purse snatched on the way in the door.

You get what you pay for.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 5:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• my daughter paid 125 a week. or 90 for 3 days. i guess they need it for supplies ,food and field trips.
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 5:57 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I charge $20 a day per child. I've been told numerous times it's too cheap.

I like to think people pay me because I do a good job and I'm not just a babysitter. It's usually the people who would never do the job who complain about how much it costs. If I was looking for care, I would pay what I had to pay to ensure my child/ren were getting quality care.
    motherofpearls

Answer by motherofpearls at 6:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• You get what you pay for. There is a great price difference between daycare centers and a In home daycare.

Think about what your actually getting. A GREAT daycare provider(in home) spends money on educational toys, play ground equiptment, educational materials(books, calenders, clocks, etc) diapers, wipes, food, field trips, cost of gas for field trips, and much much more.

Do you really want to pay someone like $2-$3 an hour to take care of your child/children. If you dont make enough, get a better job or get help from the father(s) of your child(ren). Try a live in nanny...Or look for a job you can take your kids with you...Or maybe you should have thought about these things BEFORE you had children!

Im not trying to sound ignorant but look at it from a different perspective. You dont know what a daycare provider does unless you have been one!

tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 6:19 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I dont understand that either. But The daycare we were looking at for my son, suggesting finding a federally supported program. I dont remember what its called but since obama has came into office being a single parent is easy. Check your state programs too. My fiance was making too much money for the low income program but he found a program since we arent married we qualified for and all we would have had to pay is if we went over 8 hours in the daycare. Good Luck, I hope this helps!
    ashes_leigh

Answer by ashes_leigh at 6:21 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Where I work my friend runs the daycare out of her home. All the money she makes pays for food, supplies and utilites and she pays me. In the end she really doesn't make a profit. Its just something we both do and love to do. I barely pay my bills as well with what I make.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 6:48 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I can get title 20 for my kids and it's only 300 then or it would be 1600 a month without it and that bad thing is it's one of the cheaper daycares. There is also another one that goes by the hour that I used while i was out of work so my daughter could play with other kids
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 10:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2010