Do you think it is appropriate to bring your kid's school fundraisers to your work place?

It is okay with my boss. But I don't want my co-workers to feel pressured into buying anything, but sometimes I think the fundraisers have cute things or useful items that I would like people to have the opportunatey to buy.

QandA

Asked by QandA at 5:54 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Money & Work

• I don't think your co-workers will feel pressured unless you sound like you are pressuring them. Just let them know, "hey, my child is doing this fund raiser for school, if you'd like, look through the stuff and let me know if their is anything you would like to get."
    MTM

Answer by MTM at 6:26 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• If it's a box of candy (for example), I'd just leave it on the edge of your desk, or in the breakroom, trusting your co-workers to follow the "honor rule" (if they take a candy, they should leave the money for it in an envelope provided by you, or hand it to you directly).
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 5:56 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• No not at all. I always loved when everyone brought stuff from their kids school in. We all bought off one another... It was always fun!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:56 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I don't think there is anything wrong with it. You don't have to buy anything from them of course. They are quite common around here. Sometimes I order from them if I have the money.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:57 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I was very impressed with my company's CEO's children and what the CEO did. Here is what he would do: He would bring his child to work with him and let the boy walk around the office asking every employee if he or she would like to buy popcorn or whatever and collect money for it. A reason I was impressed with that is that it teaches the child how to be independent and be able to sell things on his own because after all, all of us have to learn how to sell from the time we are little. When we are older, we have to "sell" ourselves to the employer to hire us instead of somebody else. It is a very important skill. It also teaches the kid to be independent and not having to always count on mom and dad to do it for you. Because after all, the parents don't go with us to the interviews when we are adults to the potential employer's office. I think it will be less scary for them when they have to do it on their own.
    Svetlana98usa

Answer by Svetlana98usa at 6:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Yes, it's appropriate. Just leave it on a lunch room table and if someone wants to look at they can.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:09 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Not at all! My husbands single coworkers are the best buyers when it comes to my son's school fundraisers
    Honestbest

Answer by Honestbest at 5:58 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I don't see anything wrong with it. Just leave it in the breakroom. Thats what people do where at my work.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I don't think your co-workers will feel pressured unless you sound like you are pressuring them. Just let them know, "hey, my child is doing this fund raiser for school, if you'd like, look through the stuff and let me know if their is anything you would like to get." That's how most kids who get the bigger sales then the others get their sales, their parents take the papers to work with them for their co-workers to look at. So yes, I think it is appropriate as long as your just offering and not shoving it in their faces like someone who is making commission with each sale. :)
    Meindrea

Answer by Meindrea at 6:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• i think its fine if someone doesnt want to buy something they wont.
    jamiethornton26

Answer by jamiethornton26 at 6:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2010