In America?

Link text

Did you complain about a loss of freedoms during the Bush Presidency? Does this bother you? This guy was fined for growing veggies in his own backyard? Telling someone what they can or cannot do in their own yard is bad enough but using aerial views from sites like google to find so called abuses is over the top. That is a huge invasion of privacy.

itsmesteph11

Asked by itsmesteph11 at 5:56 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Sounds like a zoning issue not a presidential issue.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 6:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• This doesn't have anything to do with the presidency - this guy violated his local zoning laws. He should have verified that he was allowed to use his land for this purpose prior to starting the garden. It's no different than someone operating any home-based business - you have to be responsible and follow the laws. If he would have, and asked to be rezoned prior to starting anything, he wouldn't be in the trouble he's in.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 6:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• There was a story this morning on Fox and Friends about a reporter on the beach in FL who was stopped by the Fish and Wildlife officer because you can't dig in the sand or build a sandcastle on the beach anymore!!! There should be common sense applied to the laws and zoning regulations we allow to be passed. Growing vegetables to sell or give away shouldn't never be an issue. We can no longer build on our property without going to the zoning office and paying for a permit. You can't grow vegetables. You can't do so many things that use to be done without thought. We have allowed these laws and regs to be implemented, and we have to undo them. (If you can ever have things like this "undone".)
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Jesse-it's all in the name of $$$$$$- Sadly, we are never going backwards in terms of THEM taking from US-
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:16 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Sisteract: in the name of the all dollar. The government thinks they have the right to our money.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:57 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I have been complaining about it since Regan. We are eroding our civil liberties all in the name of "security", and as such are losing our "security".
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 8:15 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• One of my biggest fights against the government is eminent domain..... Eminent Domain is an example of what our founders fought to leave behind...
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:40 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• OP, I get what you are saying.... to gain a perspective of this on the Federal Level, read , "Death of Common Sense"
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:41 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Oh, so it is the guys fault for violating some zoning ordinance??!! Hello!!! Dinga dinga, this is just wrong!! Lot's of people have a garden so they can EAT. Lord if it hadn't been for the gardens we had when I was a kid it would have been all tuna and mac & cheese! There are some insane laws/rules/regulations out there but having a garden shouldn't be among them imo......I mean it's not like he was raising pigs and chickens in the backyard of his house in the middle of town!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 9:26 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• If I want to grow vegetables on land that I own, that's my business, and no one else's. (If I am renting the property, I can understand asking permission of the landlord first.) I should not have to ask the government (local, state, or fed) if I can grow vegetables on my land to feed my family. That's beyond ridiculous!

Fwiw, ysk, I remember my grandmother having chickens in her backyard in the middle of town when I was a kid in the 1970s. Several of the neighbors did. We grandkids were allowed to gather the eggs once we were old enough to be careful with them, and that was a very big rite of passage in my family.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 11:20 PM on Sep. 21, 2010