16 month old with 104 fever...

just called the nurse she said to give motrin and check again in an hour and if it's gone down rotate tylenol/motrin every 3 hours...I am scared though -isn't this fever really high?????

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 6:08 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• ** She has no other symptoms and is sitting here playing and eating ritz crackers...
    stepmom929

Comment by stepmom929 (original poster) at 6:09 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• my son had gotten this multiple times and I was given the same advice with the same temp - Good luck! if its not down in 24 hours they would want you to bring her in. VERY high for an adult but apparently not life threatening for a child is what I was told - keep calling if you are nervous or scared, one night I called 4 times..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 6:12 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Sounds like a possible infection...maybe an ear infection? Or a virus....If it were me personally i would take her to the doctor asap but try to get it down by doing as the nurse told you. i hope you little one feels better soon
    PerfectLove910

Answer by PerfectLove910 at 6:13 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• when my baby was 10 months she had a temp of 100 I took her to the ER ! THATS HIGH to me but they said she was fine that it was just teething BUT I say GO! GO IF YOU FEEL THE NEED just go I feel like a better parent cuzz i did !! it wont hurt any one
    Zandrialeann

Answer by Zandrialeann at 6:19 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Yes that's pretty high, but if they aren't telling you to birng her in than it would be a waste to go, they wouldn't do anything. Keep her hydrated, you could give her popcices, that would help her get fluids and cool her down. I would try giving her a cool bath , it should help
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 6:19 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• that's not too high. they don't worry until 106...been there done that. waited for 6 hours in the waiting room for them to tell me that and to give him tylenol and motrin. also, try a lukewarm bath to help.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:25 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Try a cool bath and for kids the doctors say if they are young until it jumps to 106 they dont worry. I was explained that kids they dont worry till later because when they are teething or going through a growth they will have a little bit higher of a temp. I know that as long as she is eating something and drinking fluids there really isnt anything to do. An odd thing I have to mention. Last time my son wasnt feeling well and a tooth had just came in he was running the same temp 104. Tylenol didnt get it down but at our Wal-Mart they have a natural teething tablet that dissolves instantly and about 20 minuets after giving him 2 his temp went back down to normal. I dont really use medicine for my son except for those teething tablets. They are all natural so even if he gets into them he wont get sick. Best of Luck!
    ashes_leigh

Answer by ashes_leigh at 7:29 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Probably a virus. If she has no other symptoms and continues to act mostly normal (not lethargic or listless) and is eating and drinking fairly well... then just continue with Tylenol and Motrin. A fever itself is not dangerous.... it can't cause harm. If the fever continues to be over 101 for more than 5 days or she has other worrisome symptoms (not drinking, lethargic, or breathing problems) then see a doctor... otherwise assume it's a virus and it will run it's coarse.

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:34 PM on Sep. 21, 2010