Welfare question

I cant get over some of the responses from the question "What do you consider to be welfare" question. Women were saying that they think you should be able to stay home with your children and if welfare is the only way to do it, so be it. I even got attacked for saying that if you are struggling financially and two people in the house are capable of working, then you need to find work first before applying for assistance. It makes me pissed off to see my paychecks deductions! Do you think people on welfare should be able to stay home with their kids and do you think they should keep having kids while on welfare?

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 9:12 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Yup pointless...just another way to piss yourself off even more just THINKING that everyone on assistance is cheating you. I know MANY people on assistance (from my buisness my husband and I own) that ARE BY NO MEANS CHEATING...matter of fact, they owe in at the end of the year....did you know that?

I have said my peice...so peace.
    BTW kabbot01 we agree...the rest of this is for the ones that come on here bashing the ones that are actually trying.
    Patrina1981

Answer by Patrina1981 at 9:48 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I agree with you. I am lucky - I can stay home with my daughter, it's tight but we managed. But if we couldn't afford it, I'd work and she'd go to daycare. That is the responsible thing to do. That is what several of my friends were forced to do. They didn't even consider sitting at home sponging off other women who do work.

If you can work and can't afford not to - work. If your paycheck doesn't cover expenses, then assistance is fine. If you can't work due to health reasons, assistance is fine. Anything else is stealing as far as I'm concerned.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:19 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Say a woman has FOUR Kids. Say her husband makes the most money. Say they cant afford childcare...so the mom stays home...yet they still need assistance on certain things like MEDICAL, so the get on medicade (or whatever it is in your state)...that is welfare...but I dont see nothing wrong with it. The husband of that family is paying for it too, out of his taxes as well.
    Anonymous

• for me to also work, it would cost over $1500 a month in childcare (2 children). I cannot even make that much take home pay. So there for, I'd be going to work, paying all my $ to childcare plus some of hubbies. There for it makes more sense to stay home. I have worked a full time job since the age of 15. I've paid more into the system than I have been using since being a SAHM. I did not become a SAHM until my youngest was born. So I did my fair share of working 40+ hours a week to actually only see less than 1/2 of that after paying childcare expenses.
    Anonymous

• Ok I will explain things simply
    I am a SAHM my SO works 60+ hr a week, I do get food stamps. If I were to work it would cost me at least $3,000 for child care b/c I WILL not go to some cheap babysitter (the last one I had when I could not afford a good daycare almost killed my son). There is no way in hell I could find a job that pays more than that, I actually really wish that I could work outside of the home b/c the SAHM is not really for me (dont get me wrong I love my kids)
    Someone earlier pointed out "you could work nights" well when would I sleep, I am looking for ways to make money @ home but there are alot of scams
    I AM NOT A SAHM B/C I WANT TO BE
    and just so that we are clear I worked before I had my last LO and did NOT recieve any accistance. We had birthcontrol and were using condoms b/c I DID NOT WANT TO BE IN THIS SITUATION
    Anonymous

• Work opposite shifts? My sister and her husband did it for years until their situation changed.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:28 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I think it is disgusting that you would even talk like this about those on assistance. I think you need to be directing this question towards those that are on assistance and AT THE SAME TIME DRINKING ALCOHOL ALL DAY OR ABUSING DRUGS OR THE SYSTEM ITSELF. ..these moms that are replying here are not who you should be attacking!

Patrina1981

Answer by Patrina1981 at 9:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• kabbot- my husband's work schedule does not have enough flexability for me to get a job and still have time to sleep along with all my other mother duties.

I'm 1st anon 9:25 btw
    Anonymous

• However, I would like to add...I think that ANYONE on assistance should have some sort of financial counseling...either to help them go forward and grow from the situation they are at now (why they are on them) to where they no longer need govt. assistance. I know a Wyoming mom that is on assistance, yet has one child and lets everyone and anyone watch her child, yet STILL stays at home...this is also the sort of Mom you should be directing this question to...not the ones that are in fact trying!

Patrina1981

Answer by Patrina1981 at 9:33 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• If they aren't working, and thousands of dollars from my family's checks are going to them, then yes, they are who I'm talking to. Assistance is meant to "assist" not "provide". If you can't work, that is one thing...if you're trying and falling short, that's when you NEED assistance. BELIEVE ME I would rather be at home...I LOVED the time I was at home, and yes, we could get by if I quit working again but we would need medical assistance at minimum and I'm not going to put that burden on YOU...I had my kids...why should you pay for their doctor visits? Their fruit snacks? Their baby sitter?
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:33 PM on Oct. 19, 2008