priest are still molesters

in the case of where inappropriate behavior was found by priest what happens to them? Is it true that they just get transferred? Is it not still a crime? They should be in jail. I think alot of these worthless bastards are hiding behind the church so that they will not go to prison. what do you think?

giovannismom01

Asked by giovannismom01 at 9:15 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• What do you mean hiding behind the church? (question not in a rude form btw) If they are found guilty they should go down with the rest of the nasy basturds! Be treated just as equal. And I am sure they will/are....not sure where hiding behind the church came from.
    Anonymous

• I think you will find molestors in schools, playgrounds, churches, and even within families. It's a big mistake to think it mostly happens with priests -- it mostly happens within a family.

Unfortunately it's true that in the past priests who molested were transferred and charges were not brought up -- the same thing happened to teachers in public schools, coaches in little league, and the uncle that no one really likes. As a society we covered such things up. I'm glad that it's out in the open more and being better dealt with.

At my Catholic Church parents (anyone) who works with kids is required to take Virtus training that is designed to educate parents about molestation. If it's something you're truely worried about -- educating yourself about the issues around child molestation makes a lot more sense then avoiding priests.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:35 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Well, it's not just preists that are doing it, lol. Last year a teacher was transferred out of Chicago to a public school in my city and had molested a girl. It was later found out that he was transfered due to sexual misconduct and it was never reported. Ummm, hello! Why on earth would a school not report that to another school? Isn't that endangering more students?

These sexual predators are everywhere. They aren't the only ones getting off easily.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 9:36 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• they usually beg for forginess and go to another church. I mean that they are using the catholic religions concept of forgivness to wipe the slate clean and avoid jail time.
    giovannismom01

Answer by giovannismom01 at 9:39 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Yes, it true that things in some places have been mishandled. (Baltimore comes to mind); It was the Bishop there that made a serious error; People make mistakes. Here we had charges brought against a priest, (one that I personally knew, or thought I knew). Anyway charges were brought to up against him, it went to court, and in the middle of the trail he plead guilty!! He has been defrocked and excommunicated (meaning he is NO LONGER a priest or a member of the Catholic Church) and is sitting in jail!! Which is where he, and anyone else, that does this to children deserve to be. Oh and to add here when the charges first came out the priest was immediately removed from his duties.
    Anonymous

• Right Renee....I remember when the story broke in our area! It was down right scary!!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 9:41 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• also this post is inregards to priest molesters only.I know other people are molesters as well .I don't need to be reminded.I want to know are people who are religious think that its ok that this type of immunity bieng granted to priest.
    giovannismom01

Answer by giovannismom01 at 9:46 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• i agree. my dad was not a priest but he preached at churches and even tried starting his own. he molested me and confided in His pastor. the head pastor told him that as long as he asked GOd for forgiveness and didn't do it again that he could preach.well he always preached about forgiveness. Why? because he was trying to convince himself that he was forgiven and that he was okay. he confessed that to my brother. and yes statistics show that usually a family member is the one that molest. i believe based on my own experience that some do "hide behind the church" when their told that basically all is forgiven and go on. bull shit, is how i feel!!! they need to go to jail like any other person
    hotmama541

Answer by hotmama541 at 9:49 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• But that immunity isn't granted to a priest. If I suspected a priest was molesting someone then I should report it to the police and the police will (hopefully) investigate and it will be handled (better than it has been in the past).

You seem to have a misunderstanding about Catholic concept of forgiveness. God will forgive a priest for molestation -- God forgives anyone who is truly repentant. And God does not need someone to go to jail in order to forgive them. However, that doens't mean it's a 'clean slate'. Catholics understand penance is involved -- that a person should attempt to fix the damage done by his sin. (Maybe even turn himself in.) And if that penance is not performed in this life then it is handled in purgatory.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 9:55 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• no I do not have a misunderstanding of the catholic concept of forginess. I was not only a catholic but always went to catholic school and as an adult went to church "religiously". I just had unanswered questions and need a broader explanation from different points of view.
    giovannismom01

Answer by giovannismom01 at 10:18 PM on Oct. 19, 2008