How can I get my son who is almost 15months(in about two less then 2wks) off the bottle?

I have tried getting him off the bottle, but hardly drinks out of his sippy cups. I even tried replacing 1 bottle with a sippy cup of milk. I don't want him to be on the bottle anymore.

Kittykat279

Asked by Kittykat279 at 6:44 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my son was 12 months i stopped giving him the bottle. The first night was hell! The second night was bad but okay..The third night he didnt ask for it. You can try the sippy cups that have the soft nipple so its more like the bottle. We used the Avent ones. Remember he will drink out of the sippy cup if hes thirsty! He is just used to the bottle...Dont give it to him...You and he can do it!

Also...Explain to him why he doesnt need it..Hes a big boy now!

Good Luck!
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 6:50 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• We really didnt have a problem with getting him off the bottle. We introduced him to his cup and slowly started reducing the amount of bottles he had. When we stopped giving him his bottle he didn't drink anything until he was really thirsty but it worked. He is two now and still if he finds a bottle he wants it. Best of luck!
    ashes_leigh

Answer by ashes_leigh at 7:21 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Start using a cuppy that has almost the same kind of nipple and then change them in a few weeks to the regular one. Training cups that have cute designs will help also.
    lovinmy3babies

Answer by lovinmy3babies at 8:19 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• many may not agree with this but if u just take the bottle and replace it with a sippy cup the child will eventually get thirsty enough to drink out of the cup just donnt give him the bottle back no matter what u can also try letting him drink out of your cup occasionally also and try using sippies with silicone spouts
    momof4onesApup

Answer by momof4onesApup at 8:40 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My son was 12 months 2 days old when i took it away. I took it cold turkey. He will drink if hes thirsty :) I know that sounds mean but its true. My son didnt even care that the bottle was gone!!!!
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 8:52 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Thanks...but I find the soft tip ones leak more then the hard ones...
    Kittykat279

Comment by Kittykat279 (original poster) at 9:17 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• The way we got our kids off the bottle was we got it to where they would only get one at bed time by not letting them have one during the day. They had to use a cup. A couple of fits and some very thirsty kids later, they were using sippy cups like pros! And then to get rid of the night time bottle, I wouldn't give them one if they didn't ask for it. Sometimes they would, but sometimes they were just too tired to even think about it. And before I knew it, it had been weeks and they hadn't asked for one and we were done with bottles!
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 10:24 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• my daughter is 2 and is still using a bottle... she does not like sippy cups so i m with u on that one. its hard
    kimber0489

Answer by kimber0489 at 1:50 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I got rid of one bottle at a time with the last one being the night time bottle. As long as your child can drink from a sippy cup (but might choose not to), it's a matter of sticking with it. Kids gets a lot of fluids from what they eat (particularly if they eat fruit) so drinking is less of an issue. Whatever you do, hide the bottles! The only time my son threw a major fit was when he spotted the bottles after they were gone. Realize too that the bottle isn't necessarily the problem. The problem is if they're drinking milk from a bottle right before they go to sleep. The sugar in the milk is bad for the teeth. Try reducing the amount of milk in a bottle and/or watering it down until it's all water. You may find your child just loses interest in the bottle at that point.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 2:16 PM on Sep. 22, 2010