Ups and downs of getting a dog?

I've never had a dog and my husband is thinking of getting us one - what are your ideas on them & how do they interact with children?

sarahar

Asked by sarahar at 6:44 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Pets

• if you get one as a puppy, any dog can be good natured around children...but do your research..who's going to be the primary person to discipline and train? look for those traits,..i love dogs, i've always had one growing up...my dh doesn't care too much for them...we have a cocker spaniel who's an absolute doll, and let's kenzie do anything to him..poor bobos :(..but crate train, crate train, crate train if the dog is going to be inside. personally i've always liked bigger dogs, i just feel safer with them, especially when dh is away for work. but again, do research..mayve even go to the humane society in your area, and let the kids interact with the ones that are good with kids. good luck and congrats if you do get a dog!
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 6:50 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• our dog is great with our dd. he has good house manners too. he still has the occasional accident in the house though. house breaking a dog is a lot of work, kind of like potty training a child. and most dogs have to be taught manners, they dont come naturally. you also need to check into breed restrictions in your area, leash laws, and registration and shot laws. also certain breeds are known to have certain temperments and health problems.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 6:50 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• oh, some dogs (all the ones i've had) have been partial to having the scent of us, like a t-shirt or something that we've worn, with them in their crate..it seems to lessen the whinning at night too.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 6:51 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• i've got 3. 2 ignore my dd, but she made friends with the oldest dog (16 yrs), its funny cuz thats the 1 that hates kids and tends to hate new ppl. id suggest a labrador retriever, but keep in mind you'll be caring for an extra mouth, mess maker, and a new thing to train.
    shaysmommy5810

Answer by shaysmommy5810 at 6:54 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• First off, be VERY sure you're ready to be a dog owner. You have to be able to spend time on walking the dog, taking care of it, feeding it, training it, etc. Be aware that when you go on vacation, you need to find a place for your dog. Much as I LOVE my 2 dogs, they're a lot of work too. Then, make sure you can financially afford the food, and any kind of possible medical expenses, plus licensing.

As for what dog works well with kids... I would suggest getting a dog from the humane society. I wouldn't go with a puppy, because you don't know what its temperament will be, and they're a LOT more work. But the humane society puts all the dogs through a temperament test, so they can tell you which dogs are good with kids, other pets, etc. In general, I'd say go for a slightly larger dog, they tend to be more mellow, and less nippy than small dogs.

Just remember, owning a dog is not just a right, it's a responsibility too.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Owning a dog can be one of the most rewarding things you can do. I have 3 rescue animals and wouldn't trade them for anything. However, owning a dog is alot of work. Who is going to make sure the dog gets fed, let out every 6 or so hours, has water and take them to the vet? That is the person who should decide. I have 2 Australian shephards and a lab/collie. There is ALOT of hair. My house needs vacuumed daily. Do you have time for that? They are great with my kids and grandchildren.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 7:07 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Lots of ups if you train the right way and get the right breed. I would stick to a medium breed or something similar if you are not really experienced with dogs. Also, CRATE TRAIN!! I hear all this bull on its cruel blah blah blah. It's crucial to helping properly training your pup, especially if you spend time away from the house every day.
    Anna-Chubaby

Answer by Anna-Chubaby at 11:43 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Some tips to consider.  Dos and don'ts of dog ownership

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 11:17 AM on Oct. 2, 2010