What is your best advice for moving your family to a new city?

we ar moving soon and it has been a while what is your best advice for moving without a moving company.

mepperly07

Asked by mepperly07 at 6:50 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Be involved in your childrens school so you get to know other moms and kids for your children to play with. Make friends...Get to know your neighbors and HAVE FUN!
    tiger_tatted1

Answer by tiger_tatted1 at 6:53 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Yeah the is a no brainer for me I am a little on the over protective side and my kids come first. I know their teachers, friends and parents of friends. Thanks for the advice :o)
    mepperly07

Comment by mepperly07 (original poster) at 6:57 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Get rid of everything you haven't used in a year. If you have to ship things to a new home, the post office has prepaid boxes for up to 70pds. See if there is a site on CM for your new town, it will allow you to get to know people and they can answer your questions. If not google your new town or contact the chamber of commerce. They will have information to share with you.
    CorrinaWithrow

Answer by CorrinaWithrow at 7:11 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I have not moved without professional movers in the last 20 years.
    OI agree with a PP, thin the junk and useless items.
    Do not pack the boxes too heavy.
    Color code boxes (I used those sticky dots) according to room.
    Set up the beds and children's rooms first.
    Kitchen next.
    Have a box that stays with you at all times, containing: TP, PT, cleaners, sponges, scissors, tape, exacto knife, telephones+ cords and docking stations, address book, computers, batteries.
    Have the new place professionally cleaned BEFORE you move in.
    Keep a notebook with #s, contacts etc...
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 10:08 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Get organized early! Plan plan plan, and then plan some more. Enlist the help of every friend and family member you can. Show the kids the new house/neighborhood/schools early and get them excited about it. See if you can meet your new neighbors before you move in. Plan a pizza party for moving day. Make it fun!
    RJNEELEY

Answer by RJNEELEY at 8:16 AM on Sep. 22, 2010