Zyrtec

My son finally got put on an allgery medication. Zyrtec. He has had AWFUL allergies for as long as I can remember. Why did it take so long before a dr would put him on it? Does it help quickly? He is almost 21 months old

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:51 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• zyrtec is manufactured for children 2 and up, my guess is that he was trying to wait for your son to be close enough to the appropriate age. Allergies are tricky to diagnose for younger children since they have not had a good amount of exposure to the seasonal things. you should notice a difference within a few days of him taking it.
    foxracing43701

Answer by foxracing43701 at 7:13 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I just started giving it to my Son for seasonal allergies. Everyone here recommended it and they were right! It works great for him. I give him the liquid. He's 3. It doesn't make him drowsy or overactive either.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:52 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My DD's pediatrician put her on Zyrtec when she was under 1 but her allergies are awful. It helps a ton and seemed to help quite a bit!
    anglgrl03

Answer by anglgrl03 at 9:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• make sure you give your kiddo lots of extra water, Zyrtec really dried my son out and he had some serious poo issues.
    Jackie1081

Answer by Jackie1081 at 9:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• yuck, my son was on zyrtec for a little bit and it was awful, i had never seen him such a cranky little brat in my life. when we went back to the dr he explained that zyrtec goes through the brain and thats why it causes drowsiness, but in some kids it has an opposite effect so they dont sleep well and are cranky all the time. he's on claritin for his seasonal allergies now :)
    nessamarie

Answer by nessamarie at 2:01 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Give it to him at night because it can cause him to be drowsy. My son Has major seasonal allergies and it helps him.... GOOD LUCK
    shastamarie

Answer by shastamarie at 9:10 PM on Sep. 22, 2010