Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

3 Bumps

Do I have any rights as the mother of a boy who has got a girl pregnant?

Do me and my son have any rights? My son got a girl pregnant and she's only just revealed she's pregnant at 26 weeks, she wants to get the baby adopted where as my son just wants to keep the baby and me and my husband would be happy to support him and take the baby on along with him.

The girl says there is no way she'd let us keep her baby because it would 'wreck her head up' and she wouldn't want the baby near her and her parents have said we are selfish horrible people. I just want to look after my grandchild. What rights do we have? This is a very recent revelation (just revealed a few days ago) so we haven't contacted anything official yet.

Does anyone know?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 6:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

Answers (32)
  • dependin on your area you may have grandparent rights

    Answer by shaysmommy5810 at 6:57 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

  • you would have to check your state laws. maybe talk to a lawyer.

    Answer by jennifer588 at 6:57 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

  • Call a few family or adoption lawyers for a consultation. Usually they will see you once for free.

    Answer by elizabr at 6:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

  • i forsure would talk to a lawer cause u do have grandparents rights..

    Answer by sandi_361 at 6:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

  • I would think your son would have parental rights I would definitely talk to a lawyer about it I would think he'd have to sign over his rights but IDK


    Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

  • YOUR SON HAS RIGHTS! You don't even have to go in for yours! Legally she cannot adopt the child without his consent. He needs to find out who she's going through for the adoption and speak to them. She can simply relinquish her rights and hand over baby to you. he needs to contact the state, go to your courthouse and go through family law. They will point you in the right direction. Even before the adoption is finalized they have to post an ad in the paper under public notice to give the father a chance to claim the child!

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 7:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

  • While you may have an idea what raising a child takes, you son has no idea what he is signing up for. Before you go down this road, make sure you and your husband are willing to raise this baby yourself - not just helping your son. This girl knows she is in over her head - which I think its to be commended. Just make sure you understand what you are signing up for. Legally adpoting the baby yourselves is problaly the way to go,

    Answer by karamille at 7:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

  • i agree he has rights, she cannot legally put up the baby for adoption wo him knowing he is the father, make sure you get legal help to demand a paternity test once that has been done after the baby is born, it would be handed over to you if she was signing away right and or she wouldnt be able to just create an adoption.start now on getting things in place so she cant sneak and arrange an adoption behind your back, if you hear she is i would go to that agency and tell them you are having a paternity test and are against the adoption, this is really sad i hope it all works out in your favor

    Answer by Kre10 at 7:11 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

  • You should really consult an attorney, they are the only ones who can really give you legal advice, which it sounds like you need.

    Either way, Good Luck, I wish you the best!

    Answer by m-avi at 7:14 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

  • He should have rights as the baby's father. I'd get a lawyer.

    Answer by KairisMama at 7:14 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.