Would you buy your child their first car?

I bought both of my Oldest kids their first car. If they didn't like it and we didn't pay much way back when they could go buy themselves another car and they did at some point.

Moms_Angels1960

Asked by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Just for Fun

• we will probably help her, but i doubt we will just buy it for her.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 7:06 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• When my oldest is 15 my FIL is going to help him get our old wrecked Geo Tracker running, and that will be his first car. I bought it new and paid on the damn thing for 5 years and then 6 months after I paid it off, my husband crashed it and it was no longer drivable. UGH! But our son will fix it up and drive it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:07 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Already did.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 7:08 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My step daughter got her grandma's old car and then bought herself a car a year later. As for the 2 coming up I will wait and see how responsible they are. I don't like handing my kids everything but there is nothing wrong with helping them out in a reasonable fashion. I also think it is great for kids to have a beater car so they appreciate a new car when they can afford one.
    mepperly07

Answer by mepperly07 at 7:09 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I will definitely buy my kids cars or let them use a family car. I bought my own at age 17. They could never take my keys away because a) it was mine and b) i had to get to my job to pay for it. I will definitely have more control that that. =)
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 7:09 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Our kids could use the family car but if they wanted their own they had to save for it, which they did.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:11 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• if she is responsible, I will help her a bit, but she will be working to earn the money and learn her lessons
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 7:19 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I don't believe a 16 year old should be driving at all, to be honest. So if he wants a car at 16, he's going to have to figure out how to get one on his own. If he's willing to wait till 18, I'd probably buy him one, or at least help him.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:35 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My Parents bought me my first car so if God willing when my Son needs a car and we have the money, we will buy it for him. I will at least be able to pick a safe one since I'm paying.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 7:49 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I am 21 yo and my parents wouldnt let me have a job until after I had graduated. As far as my son goes, I plan on him working for his car. I will help him but I want him to learn the gratification of working hard to have something. If my parents had done the same then I might have taken better care of my blazer.
    ashes_leigh

Answer by ashes_leigh at 7:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2010