What is Christianity?

I've tried and tried to understand what Christianity is, but every question I ask has 15 answers which don't make any sense or even match up... So can someone help me understand?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:12 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• its simple. it's the belief that Christ died to save your soul. He gave us the chance to say i'm sorry and be redeemed.
    shaysmommy5810

Answer by shaysmommy5810 at 7:14 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Its an umbrella term for all who follow the message of he who is called Christ, who have him at the foundation of their faith and follow his message/example in their relationship with God and their fellow man.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:17 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Christianity is a religion based on the life and teachings of Jesus of Nazareth as presented in the New Testament. Christianity comprises three major branches: Roman Catholicism, and Eastern Orthodoxy, and Protestantism. Christians believe Jesus is the Son of God, God having become human and the savior of humanity. Christians, therefore, commonly refer to Jesus as Christ or Messiah.
    Wantz

Answer by Wantz at 7:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• "Christians believe Jesus is the Son of God, God having become human and the savior of humanity."

Not all. There are various groups of non Trinitarians, Unitarians, and others - the nature of Jesus (human/Divine) is something that has been disputed even from the beginning. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:13 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Come check out my group "Answers to Questions about the Christian Faith." GOD IS LOVE,JjESUS TOOK THE PUNISHMENT FOR OUR SINS, so that we will get to be with Him in eternity for ever. Whether you believe in God or not, you will get to meet Him when you die. I love talking about Christianity, please pm me...I would love to share the joy and love and grace of God with you...xoxoxxo
    Zanjea

Answer by Zanjea at 10:47 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• You will get the same here.. 15 + different answers.

The one I will give is this. Christian means anointed follower ( Christ means Anointed One). So Christianity is a group of anointed followers. They chose to accept Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior and have been redeemed and set free from sin. It is about growing in Christ and having a love relationship with Him. It is about knowing Who you are in Him, as His child, daughter and princess. It is knowing His love and walking in mercy and grace... while giving His love away to others. Its really that simple. :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:42 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Yes there are many different answers. If you want to know if Jesus Christ is God in the flesh, a part of the holy trinity, you can read a book called "More Then A Carpenter". It is a small book. It documents that Jesus had to be the son of God, or a liar, or crazy. Then you can decide for yourself if you choose to believe that he is the Son of God.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 12:12 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• " It documents that Jesus had to be the son of God, or a liar, or crazy. "

I don't believe those are the only options....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:48 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Definition of CHRISTIANITY
    1: the religion derived from Jesus Christ, based on the Bible as sacred scripture, and professed by Eastern, Roman Catholic, and Protestant bodies
    2: conformity to the Christian religion
    3: the practice of Christianity

Anytime you ask a question that many different people are going to answer you're going to get many different answers. My first answer would be that Christianity is a religion about our God/Christ and our foundation of study is the Bible. That I think is basicly what all of us believe and would agree on. But each of us and our denominations will, of coarse, differ slightly with many of the details. Why? Because we're all different, at different levels of understanding, and still learning.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 4:51 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Christianity is the #1 religion in the world. Christians believe in one God that exists in three persons—the Father, the Son (Jesus Christ), and the Holy Spirit. What's different about Christianity is that it's based on a relationship with Jesus Christ - God!
    There's one way to get to heaven and that's by repenting (turning from) your sins, believe that Jesus died for our sins and rose from the dead. The believer (Christian) is then filled with the Holy Spirit. Christians will continue to struggle with sin, but if they study and apply God’s Word in their lives and allow themselves to be controlled by the Holy Spirit - submit to the Spirit’s leading in everyday circumstances - they can win.
    The Bible can be a difficult book to follow. It contains judgments, absolutes, and non-negotiable commands, but it also has the words of God's abounding grace, love and mercy.
    shughes903

Answer by shughes903 at 5:06 PM on Sep. 22, 2010