How do I handle this right?

We recently moved to a new nieghborhood that has a lot of children, but only one little girl who is the same age as my daughter. They are 4. She lives right nextdoor. It has come to my attention that her parents do things a bit different than us and pretty much let her do whatever she wants. So we made the rule that they can play outside together or in our house, but I didn't feel comfortable with her playing over there. 4 yolds need constant supervision... And although I know its a part of growing up, I find that my little one is picking up an awful lot from her. Suddenly yelling at me or flat out telling me NO which she has never done. I'm not sure how the best way to handle this is. I've explained that sometimes friends make choices that are not the best and that she has her own mind and has to choose what she feels is best. But its hard for her to understand. PLEASE HELP I'm at my breaking point :(

madsmom314

Asked by madsmom314 at 7:20 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• go talk to the mom and tell her the rules u have for your kids
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 7:27 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I would limit her time with the friend.  She is not of the age to make "appropriate" decisions without assistance.

.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 7:30 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Wow, that's tough...I guess I would only allow them to play at your house and if the other mom questions you about it tell her that you just aren't ready for her to have playdates outside the house yet, and leave it at that. If she gives you a hard time just tell her that it's just how you feel even though it might seem silly....we had a similar situation and it is uncomfortable but you need to do what is best for your child and everyone else can mind their own business!! ;)
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 8:06 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I'd let them play there, of course, but not at the other girls' house.

Don't brush off the fact that your daughter is also 4-years-old. It's a time when they will "naturally" test limits and show a bit of defiance. While the new little girl may have SOME effect on her, a lot of it will be just a part of her growing up...even if she's never said "no" to you before.

Take it a bit further by emphasizing the rules in your house on a constant basis.

Good luck, mama!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 6:43 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i wouldnt let her play with the little girl
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 10:33 AM on Sep. 22, 2010