what living situation do you think would be better?

We're moving into a diff place so my SO's brother can move in.
It'll be me, my son will be a year by then, my SO and his brother, 19.

We are going to get a 2 bedroom, maybe 3, but most likely 2 so we can continue to save money.

option 1) theres an apartment, townhouse, has washer and dryer in unit, small balcony and2br 1.5 bathrooms. $1025 month

option 2.) House, Washer/dryer hookup, single level. has a yard, and only 2br 1bathroom $1200month

Both are equally nice, pros and cons to both though

option 3) Townhouse, 3 br, 2 bathroom...washer dryer hook ups and $1225month

What do you think is the best option? I am leaning toward option 1 just so I can continue to save and have room with money. I am self employed so some months don't bring in as much as others so between car payments and rent it is easier to have it cheaper. But then again I can always work harder to bring in the cash.

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 7:21 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Is the brother going to help out at all? I would probably go with option #1 just make sure that you can handle having someone else live with you it can be tough
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:23 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I'd go with #1, our apartment is 2bd/2ba and we have a washer/dryer in unit, it's saving us so much money being able to do our laundry at home instead of having to pay $2 a load at a laundromat!!
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 7:26 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I think you should probably go with option three.. I know you want to save money but how is it really going to work out with your child staying in your room or staying in a bedroom with a 19 year old. The 19 year old is going to want to do whatever he wants.. and some thing you might not want around your child. I would definitely be making him pay for some of the rent and utilities... He should learn the cost of living if he hasn't already.. It will help him in the long run and still make it possible for you to save money.
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 7:31 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Is your SO's brother sharing a room with the baby?
    I'd go with option 3

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:23 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• do number one
    you can always move into something bigger later
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 7:25 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I would go with the first one. It is important to have a second bathroom when there are three adults. Somebody always has to go. So it is good that it has a second bathroom.Saving money is ALWAYS good.
    We rented a cheap apartment and have stayed 10 years because the rent is so cheap.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:25 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Wowza! Where do you live?? Around me (near atlanta) youcan find a 3 bedroom house for as little as $950! That's besides the point. I think you should definitely spend the little extra and go for option 3. It'll give you more room and space. Boys can be messy so it'll be better if you can keep him in HIS corner of the house. Sharing one bathroom SUCKS! I have two of my bathrooms beig worked on (new shower, tile etc) so everyone who comes over uses our small downsatirs bathroom. Can I say that with a house full of men I have to 'hold it' for god knows how long everyday! I'm pregnant so the aroma of someone else makes me hurl-and it's even harder when it's the only bathroom. Think about it.
    swink318

Answer by swink318 at 7:26 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I'd go with option 3
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Thanks for the opinions ladies.

Yes the brother is going to help out. I haven't decided on how much he should pay yet, I do all the money matters so I am trying to make the most sensible decision.
    We share a room with our son. I don't feel comfortable having him in his own room yet, so the brother will have the other room to himself. We just found places that huge Master Bedrooms :)

We live in California near the coast north of San Francisco....pretty pricey
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 7:30 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• If the brother is moving in, don't you need a 3 bedroom? He need a room and your child will need a room. Isn't the brother going to help with bills?

Answer by louise2 at 7:34 PM on Sep. 21, 2010