spank or no

jesslovesyou08

Asked by jesslovesyou08 at 7:31 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• there is a difference in beating and spanking..... when my child is old enough to understand right from wrong she is going to be spanked if she does something wrong.
    Alyson_Torres09

Answer by Alyson_Torres09 at 7:42 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• No. Never. I was spanked as a kid, and even though it didn't traumatize me for life, it didn't teach me a damn thing either. I don't understand how you can teach a kid anything by resorting to physical actions like that. It's ruling by fear and intimidation, which is wrong in my book.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 7:33 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Yep... Not to is neglect IMO!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:38 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• NO! There are way too many discipline options available to start with spanking.

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 7:32 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• We do it, and done correctly it's highly effective.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 7:35 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I think spanking is the last resort but when all else fails spanking works. I do support spanking your kids and i personally believe if you have honestly tried time out and all the other forms of discipline and nothing works then try spanking. It will get their attention and they will learn that you mean business.
    ashes_leigh

Answer by ashes_leigh at 8:07 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

@Ashes Leigh
    Okay, I'm not arguing your point, but I've been hearing this sentiment a lot lately. If you know that it works, what is the point of making it a "last resort"? I agree that there are other forms of dicipline to be used as well, but why is spanking a last resort?
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:11 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• When my children were young I did swat them on the hand or a pat on the butt for potentially putting themselves in harms way or harming others. I had a few moments where I lost my temper and out of anger hit them harder than I should have with an open hand. I however do not believe that physical harm is okay, and looking back I would have handled those things differently. Breaking a cycle of abuse is difficult and some people (like myself) repeat learned behavior (parenting being one). I never beat my children or abused them, however if there was opportunity to do it over again I would never hit them. Knowing what I know now those few instances (and they were few) could have been handled much differently. So to spank or not to spank - I vote no at least for myself.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 8:21 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Nope. It's child abuse IMO.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:36 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• once in a blue moon
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 8:43 PM on Sep. 21, 2010