S/O what living situation would be better?

So we are moving into a different place so my SO's brother can move in.

option 1) apartment 2br/1.5ba $1025mo

option 2.) House 2br 1ba $1200mo

option 3) Townhouse/apartment 3br/2ba $1225mo

We will get the biggest room. My SO, my 1yr old son by then, and Myself will all share. we are used to it and I prefer it. The brother will have his own room.

depending on each option

how much should his brother pay per month for rent?

DomoniqueWS

Asked by DomoniqueWS at 7:38 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Home & Garden

• IMO - SO's brother should pay anywhere from 1/3-1/2 of the rent and utilities. Or, you do the rent in your/your SO's name, and power/water/extra adding up to equal his "share" in brother's name.

We have a roommate (me, DH, 3 kids, and roomie) and he provides free childcare and pays the internet bill, and also helps on groceries and misc needs (part of the power, phones, etc). Of course, its super cheap where I live ... $700/mo for a 4br on 3/4 of an acre. Do whatever is best for your family. If you want to stay in a 2br, go for it - but I wouldn't go for the apt since you DO have a small child and they get rowdy and neighbors can be jerks.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 7:47 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I know I answered your last but since you posted he will pay and that your little one will stay in your room.. Your room being the master. You might as well get option 1 or 2, as long as you don't mind only have one shower/bath that everyone uses.. Um, make him pay anywhere from 1/3 to 1/2 of the rent but you need to keep in mind he is only one person - there will be four in the house. On the utilities I would make him pay something but depending on how much he uses really. You gotta be fair. Also, make him pitch in with laundry.. as well as help out with groceries.. and cleaning for sure!
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 7:43 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• thats what I was thinking. somewhere in between 1/3 and 1/2. more toward 1/3.

just hoping its reasonable.

hoping he's easy to live with lol
    DomoniqueWS

Comment by DomoniqueWS (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I think I'd go for the house, esp w/ a child. More freedom, and maybe less neighbor problems. Rent maybe 1/2 if 1/3 remember all the other things your paying elec. water tele. cable etc. Also food, if he's going to eat there a lot food can be VERY expensive. Good luck what ever you decide.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 8:26 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Personally I would go for the 3 bedroom. Even if your son sleeps in your room, it will be nice to have a separate room for his clothes, toys, books, and all that other gear that comes with a baby. And depending on how long you live there, you will eventually want him out of your bed and into his own. I would have the brother pay 1/3 of the rent. Then figure out a number that is about 1/3 for the utilities, cable, etc and have him pay an additional set amount. An additional $100 for instance. It doesn't have to be exact, but something that will help with those other bills.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:58 PM on Sep. 21, 2010