Should I seek a grief therapist or a mentor?

My grandfather died in Jan and to this day it is very difficult for me hear about him or talk about him. I haven't fully gotten over his death. Some days are easier than others. When I talk about him some days I can do it without even tearing up. Other days just the thought of him breaks my heart. My grandfather was best friend growing up. I thought of him as a second father. Slowly I have started talking about the way I feel about him passing and my question is should I try and go to a specialist or should I just seek out a mentor of sorts?

ashes_leigh

Asked by ashes_leigh at 7:40 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• therapist

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 7:45 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Check out this website www.johgriefsupport.org It's Journey of Hope grief support. One of our former counselors at the high school I work at runs this group and he's fabulous. He's in Plano, TX and I haven't checked out the website to see if you can email him for support or not, but check it out, it might be worth it.
    KimPippin

Answer by KimPippin at 7:56 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• www.johgriefsupport.org/believe.htm This link might work better
    KimPippin

Answer by KimPippin at 7:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Sorry for your loss. We can't cure normal and this is normal. It takes time to grieve and cope with the loss of loved ones. One of the best things you can do is to honor his memory. My father passed away suddenly years ago. Something I did that helped when I was hurting is to light a special "memory" candle in his honor. I purchased special candles and holders just for this. I would think of the good memories and fun times. I also collect things that remind me of him and have somewhat of my tribute to his life in a special room. Time will make it easier. I know he would not want me to be sad but to be happy for the time we did have. Memories, love and laughter - pay it forward. . Keep the light shining. :-) Hugs !!!! What if we would never had known their love? I focus on how grateful I am to have been a part of his life..... It's OK to cry, it cleanses the soul.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 10:15 PM on Sep. 21, 2010