sensitive teeth

I am 20 weeks pregnant and noticed my teeth on the left side are sensitive. I am afraid that a tooth is infected. Can this harm my baby or cause a miscarriage? I plan on going to the dentist soon.

cmcook89

Asked by cmcook89 at 7:53 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• when I was pregnant I needed doctors (obgyn) permission for a root canal from my dentist. I don't think you should be SO concerned, I don't think anything like that can happen, but go to the dentist and see. MAKE SURE if they take x-rays to cover the tummy as best as possible because x-rays WILL harm the baby.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 8:00 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• an infection in your mouth is very dangerous, so yes you should definately go to the dentist. you do have to notify your ob though and they have to give the dentist permission to x-ray you. my ob told me that it is fine if they put the apron on you and do the x-ray because the machines now days release much less radiation than in the past. an infection in your mouth can enter your bloodstream very easily and that is extremely dangerous for the baby.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:08 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• my teeth and ears an joints and bones felt different when pregnant. i loved being pregnant. your ligaments and even teeth will either swell or loosen, depending. so this may be why they are sensitive, your gums and skin and tissues are ALL hypersensitive! but do check it out of course. dont worry too much, i had an earache toward the end and it went away., just keep brushing and good hygiene but not compulsive
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 8:23 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• In the middle of my pregnancy i was getting REALLY sensitive teeth on my right side and it was soooo painful!! after a few days it would just.. go away!! and then a wk or 2 later.. would come bak for a couple days and this would just repeat itself for a couple months..sometimes wks in between with no pain at all though!! They say the baby takes just about ALL of your calcium so your suppose to triple up on your milk and dairy products.. when my teeth would start hurting i would just drink tonsss of chocolate milk and yogurt. not sure if thats what made it stop hurtin after a couple days but i like to just tell myself that ;) haha
    Alyssa_mommy2b

Answer by Alyssa_mommy2b at 9:00 PM on Sep. 21, 2010