What about dinosaurs? (mostly for Christians, but other opinions welcome).

Ok, first, do you think they actually existed? If they existed, what happend to them? Why aren't they her anymore? What ended their lives?
Disclaimer: I am not asking this question to berate your beliefs or to belittle you. I am asking out of sheer couriosity. A conversation with my father yesterday actually got me thinking and wondering about this.
-Ashley

spiritguide_23

Asked by spiritguide_23 at 7:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Yes, I believe they existed. I'm pretty sure the consensus is that a meteor wiped them out.... :)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 7:57 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I took classes at a cathoilc church to learn how my husband was raised. I asked the priest the same question and his answer was that science explained how and the bible explained why. I can't say I agreed with him but that was his answer.

Mommy2Gabrielle

Answer by Mommy2Gabrielle at 7:58 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I pretty much agree with Science's explanation. Though I do believe some were able to adapt (IE birds were once dinos). I think science and the creation theory work well together actually.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 7:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• i'm a christian. of course dinosaurs existed (they still do.... there are many animals that have not really changed all that much over time such as crocodiles, etc.). i don't know what made most of them extinct. some kind of fast change that their bodies could not adapt to i suppose (ie. temperature change, lack of food, etc.). not really sure what dinosaurs have to do with christianity. not all christians are the kind who believe that god is not capable of making creatures who can evolve.... only a small percentage of christians believe that.

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:00 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Yeah, guess we know all the skeletons they've found over the last 100 years (approximately) have been fake.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 8:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• you guys... i am a new yorker. the dinosaur skeletons that are in the museum of natural history AND that they find every day in arizona and europe ARE REAL. So, it shows that GOD directed evolution... this is God's Earth, and there are many mysteries to it! They could have been in the Garden of Eden, if you are fundamentalist! OR Adam and Eve coudl have been cavepeople who gained knowledge that they should clothe themselves, etc. Dinosaurs, even if not in the Bible, could have existed in the part of the Bible that talks abotu all that creation stuff goign on before humans came! One day to God could be a Jurassic period!!! THINK about it logically and spiritually.. .and there may have been a HUGE purpoae as to why they existed... maybe to make peopel question God today!!! God has a sense of humor, dont forget!!!
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 8:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• " I asked the priest the same question and his answer was that science explained how and the bible explained why."

I kind of believe this way, but without an idea of infallible authority on the Bible.... I believe that science explains how, and God is the Who/Why....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• The reason I asked is because I know some Christians in real life whose heads have almost exploded with this question. I just find it fascinating to see the different ideas behind their existence and demise.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Comment by spiritguide_23 (original poster) at 8:09 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• When I was a kid, I actually had a book about dinosaurs that was Bible based. From what I got, they couldn't change with the times just like other animals that are now extinct. Dinosaurs are not the only animal to be wiped off the face of the earth. But a lot of reptiles are still considred to be dinosaurs. We don't have wooly mammoths and sabertooth tigers but we know they existed. I just don't see how it challenges the bible and christianity I guess.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:22 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• am christian,. yes i do belive in dinosaurs and i belive the scientific explanation
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 8:23 PM on Sep. 21, 2010