She's 10 y/o and breaks down but wont talk

She wont cry when she gets hurt but when we're in the middle of school work, if she doesn't understand immediately, she kind of holds her breath to fight tears. She's smart as a wip and usually catches on right away but if she doesn't, it's like breaking down the invisable wall. You can't work with her until she calms herself down. I'm not sure how to get her to just breathe and work through it. She gets mad at herself and just.... I don't know... She wants to go back to public school but I don't want her being made fun of for crying if she gets stuck. It happens at least once a week and I'm not sure how to handle it. Any tips???

fourdaughters28

Asked by fourdaughters28 at 8:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• what i do for my son is to tell him to calm down and count to 10. then we take a small break and come back to it a few minitues later. that always helps him. she just needs to find a way to deal with the stress. it might take trying a couple of things, but i'm sure you will help her find something to work. you could also go to the library and ask them to find some books about kids dealing with stress. there are alot of different ideas you could try until you find one that works.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:18 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I always have her take a "brain break" but she wont be able to do that in public school. I will go to the adult section of the library, for once and check it out. Thank you.
    fourdaughters28

Comment by fourdaughters28 (original poster) at 8:31 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• It sounds like there is more to that. There must be something bothering her, why else would she want to go back to public school? Maybe this school is harder? Maybe she misses her friends? Besides, what's wrong with public school? Maybe the work is harder and she might be struggling.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:23 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• she could just be having a hard time adjusting to wherever she is now..last year my niece was in grade 3, and she got one word wrong on a spelling test, and she freaked out, she thought she was gonna be failing grade 3 because of it..it was so sad to see her be so disappointed in herself..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:52 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I agree with the previous post ~ sounds like there is more to this situation. At the age of 10, It may be hormonal. If she wants to go back to public school you may want to explore that idea and find out why. Public school may be the place that will help her become stronger and help her learn to deal with "real world" stuff.
    dcnative

Answer by dcnative at 10:29 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• She needs another outlet. Sports or girl scouts.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:41 AM on Sep. 25, 2010