Little knats flying in your kitchen?

We have these little flying knats,they are really small and they like to fly around the sink and stop and rest on the dishsoap bottle.I just noticed them about a week ago.They don't seem to be attracted to the kitchen trash,they just buzz around the sink and stove area.What are they and how did they get there?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:12 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Home & Garden

• they sound like fruit flies to me. sit out some apple cider vinegar in a tall jar with a narrow neck (you only need about a inch of the cider vinegar). it works great.... they are attracted to that and die in there. i used a pretty little vase and it works great!
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:14 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• fruit flies. i would pour some bleach down the drains to get rid of them.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 8:14 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Thier just gnats. They tend to leave thier eggs in the drains of sinks, and are attracked to any food that is left out. I found that if you put some apple cider vinegr in a cup or bowl put sarran wrap on it and a rubber band around it, and poke some little hols in it, they wll get in there vut can get out and will eventually die so you can just dump them and repeat. Also if you pour just a bit of cooking iol down your draing, it will keep them from wither laying eggs, or the eggs from hatching, Im not to sure but it works. I have hardly any gnats anymore in my kitchen.

sorry that was long and kinda confusing.
    SierraLynn

Answer by SierraLynn at 8:16 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Yep, fruit flies.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:16 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I'll have to try that princessbeth79 - we had some fruit flies come in when we had bananas in the house and I can't get rid of them.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:16 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• they are fruit flies! they dont bite but love sweet smellign things liek wine, fruit, sweet soaps and like water., they dont carry disease they are just annoying and will fall in yur drinks and juices be careful. they are soft and small with big eyes. they are seasonal. i love biology so am interested. i have a couple. they have done huge research studies on the reproductive habits of fruit flies, lol.
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 8:17 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I get them a lot if I have fresh fruit sitting around. Seem to go away on their own when the fuit goes.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 8:20 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• If they are hovering around the drain, they are drain flies. Drain flies are a little bigger than fruit flies, they don't fly as fast, and they don't move too far from their drain. They breed and live on the gunk in the drain pipes. The way to get rid of them is to get the gunk in the pipes cleaned out. If I can remove the drain plug, I remove the gunk with a long brush that I bought to do this. If I can't remove the drain plug, then I try pouring part of a box of baking soda down the drain and following it with half a bottle or so of vinegar to try to foam it off. If that doesn't work, I get a gel cleaner (there use to be a powdered cleaner that foamed up, but I can't find it any longer) so I find drain cleaner that will cover the pipe and dissolve the gunk.

Answer by Bmat at 8:34 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Fruit flies... We get them in the kitchen and the bathroom for some reason - I guess it's the water...

WalMart had some "Fruit Fly Traps" that worked awesome! They look like a tiny plastic apple and the flies go in and die... Love them!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:44 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Apple cider vinegar works wonders.
    nikkole42

Answer by nikkole42 at 9:07 PM on Sep. 21, 2010