Classified single but parents together

I am finding more and more couples that are in my situation. They got together started dating and in the middle of dating before marriage was even a thought they end up pregnant. I have noticed more and more teenagers this is happening to. We celebrated our 3 year dating anniversary on the second of this month and now we are engaged and getting married. Our son turned 2 August. What are your opinions on a couple not being married and have a baby?

ashes_leigh

Asked by ashes_leigh at 8:17 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Dosen't bother me. My sister in law and her s/o have been together for like 8-9 years and have a 4 yr old daughter. They have never gotten married.
    MissAlisabeth

Answer by MissAlisabeth at 8:20 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I really don't care what people do, but it does bother me a bit whether someone chooses to marry or not. Now I do take issue when the only reason people stay unmarried is if they are not disclosing their boyfriend is living with them and they are recieving public assistance based on them being a one parent family when in fact they are a two parent family. That way the parent earning income is not claimed so benefits can be received.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 8:22 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• we are together and not married for one reason and one reason only. My mom covers my health care costs as long as I don't get married until I am 26. which means my son is covered as well. I am not saying that I am going to wait that long to get married, im 18 now, 19 on thursday, but until I can afford my own health care it works best for us in the mean time.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 8:22 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• It doesnt matter to me! Me and my Df just celebrated our 4 year ann. on the 13th and we have been engaged for 3 1/2. Our oldest is 2. We also have a 1yr old and an 2 week old.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:24 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Growing up i was always told that if u have a kid with someone you have to marry them and thats what i did. There are days that i regret that but there are also days that im happy i did it
    brwneyebeauty13

Answer by brwneyebeauty13 at 8:30 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Marriage doesnt mean what it used to...and seriously after being together for so long, living together and all...getting married doesnt really change anything....it may make things "right" in a religious stand point..but seriously your wedding can be done by a magistrate on a piece of paper with only two witnesses..then you keep it moving...so if its working without marriage..then hey do what works for you!!!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 8:34 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• @sweetskisses Marriage isn't for religious reasons only. It's for legal as well. There are MANY things in life you cannot get unless your married. Why do you think the homosexual's are wanting the right to marry? Ummmm... so they have the same rights as those of us who can get married. My BF and I have been together for over 5 years, not living together. There are many things we cannot do unless we're married. Our system is set up for married couples, not unmarried, or homosexuals couples. It's just how the system works. I agree w/karamille.
    lioness3e

Answer by lioness3e at 8:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I think it's sad that marriage isn't considered as important as it used to be. And children are the ones who suffer because of it. Yes, I know that with a high divorce rate, lots of people do not end up staying together until their kids are grown but when children are born into relationships that were only casual in the first place, then they have a much higher chance of growing up without a close relationship to one of their parents, usually their father. It's just very sad.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 9:31 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I'm in a relationship with the father of my daughter, and we are not married. He is VERY involved in her life. Just because two people aren't married doesn't necessarily make their relationship "casual". If marriage was so important, why is the divorce rate so high?
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 1:25 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• And by the way, my boyfriend's family friend has been with his girlfriend for 22 YEARS. They have 5 kids together and have NEVER been married. They've lasted longer than most married couples!!
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 1:27 AM on Sep. 22, 2010