Need opinions/advice cry it out?

Ok, my son is 8 months old and at his 6 month check up his doctor told me he shouldn't be using a bottle to go to sleep. He said I needed to let him cry it out. I tried it and it broke my heart because he didn't understand why I was leaving him. Here's my question...... do you think it's an issue if I still feed my son and rock him to sleep? When he wakes up in the middle of the night (and he does often to play) he will put himself back to sleep. He doesn't seem to have any problems putting himself to sleep once the "initial" bedtime. What do you think? Cry it out? Don't worry about it?

BabyBreyen

Asked by BabyBreyen at 9:50 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sometimes a doc is not always right and a mothers heart is.
    kscmbz

Answer by kscmbz at 9:59 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• If he can put himself back to sleep I don't see a problem with it. I nursed my son to sleep until he weaned himself at a yr. I continued to rock him to sleep until he was about 21 months old then he decided on his own that he was ready to get in his big boy bed and put himself to sleep. He's never major sleep issues and hubby and I loved the time it gave us with him. So I say if your o.k with it then go with it.
    ZakZaksmom

Answer by ZakZaksmom at 10:14 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Sleep is a developmental stage reached in baby's own time. There is no reason to force something upon him, he will be miserable and so will you (as you know). Hang in there! There is nothing wrong with what you are doing. Check out this article it should put your mind at ease. http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/sleep.html

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 10:24 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Follow your heart. It sounds like he has the ability to put himself to sleep already. Maybe you could feed him and rock him, but put him in bed drowsy but not asleep. Smile at him wish him goodnight and leave. Hopefully he won't scream! Good luck, you know your son better than the Dr or any of us here, trust yourself!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 11:03 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I always feed my son about 30 min before his bedtime so he doesn't fall asleep during the feeding. Just come up with something he can think of as bedtime. Like my son only gets his paci and his rain sound machine when it's bedtime. I put the paci in, turn on the machine, rub his head and say nightnight then walk out. I'll only go back in if he is throwing a fit to the point of making himself gag. Then I'll hold him a min and do it all over again. He doesn't cry when he goes down anymore, you just gotta stick with it
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 11:29 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I still let my son fall asleep with a bottle and he is 10 months. The whole cry it out thing is a personal decision and Im surprised your dr told you to do that as its not really medically relevant.
    1happy_mommy

Answer by 1happy_mommy at 11:32 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• at seven months after rocking my son and putting him down after rocking him for like thirty minutes he would wake right back up so i started letting him cry it out. I give him his bottle after our night time bath, hugs, kisses and snuggles than i lay him down give him his bottle and a kiss on the head and leave the room at first i only let him cry about 2-3 minutes(way more than i could even stand) slowly i started letting him cry a little longer. he will always drink his bottle and than go to sleep now he hardly ever cries anymore. he very rarely falls asleep without taking all his bottle. plus letting him cry it out wore him out so he ended up sleeping better and longer yay! lol
    WillaKaye

Answer by WillaKaye at 11:45 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• also my son is 10 1/2 months old now.
    WillaKaye

• I held my children and feed them to go to sleep until they were old enough to hold it their selves. then I put them to bed with it. Unless you see a problem with the way things are going I would just leave things as they are.
    Buggs4444

Answer by Buggs4444 at 12:07 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Off topic your my son has the same onsie as your baby in your profile pic.

Anyway, go with your guy instinct. Antonio is 4 1/2 months old and I don't think I could bring myself to do it. I wouldn't advise doing it past 9-12 months but 6 months is still young. I know as a fact that if Antonio didn't get fed before bedtime, he'd be going to bed screaming his lungs out.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 12:44 AM on Oct. 20, 2008