How can I settle my baby crying while breastfeeding?

My baby girl is 10 weeks old, has started to cry while feeding from 4-5 days ago, make me so nurvious her crys...She leaves my nipple and starts to scream and cry as if something is hurting her. tried to hold her tummy on my shoulder and rub her back in case of gas bothering her but is not helpful. Am worried because she cant get enough milk to keep her healthy if this problem continious :(

NasMoj

Asked by NasMoj at 9:51 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Have you pumpet to see how much milk you are producing? I would start with that. Also count the number of wet/dirty diapers (that lets you know she is getting enough. At around 10 weeks they hit a growth spurt and it sounds like she is wanting more than you can produce so she is getting frustrated. Try drinking lots of water and let her nurse whenever possible to try to increase your supply (if you can). If not, you may need to supplement with formula ( I had to at 3 months). Good Luck!
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:11 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• it sounds like she might be teething... try give her a cold teething ring and rock her til she settles and try again gl..
    Anonymous

• Check the insides of her mouth for white patches. She may have thrush. OR you might have an overactive let down, and she's having trouble keeping up with the flow. For help check out Kellymom.com
    3maniacsmom

Answer by 3maniacsmom at 10:33 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• What you pump is NOT an indicator of what baby gets. The only way to know is to count diapers, so keep an eye on those, or you could go to an LC or your doctor and weigh baby, feed baby, and weigh baby again (you NEED a very accurate scale for this hence the need for a doctor's office or breastfeeding clinic).

She may be crying for a number of reasons. When she pops off do you squirt milk? Oversupply can often be the cause for popping on and off of the breast. Are you burping her between breasts if not more often? Does she have white spots in her mouth that don't wipe off? Do you bottle and breast feed? All of which are fixable problems so don't worry. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/concerns/baby/fussy-while-nursing.html

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 10:35 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Does she have an ear infection? That makes sucking painful.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 11:00 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I wonder if she might have a bit if reflux? My baby girl did and she didnt throw up alot or anything and she did the same thing as your baby, worth looking into.......
    jokermom

Answer by jokermom at 9:27 AM on Oct. 20, 2008