WHAT IS A GOOD AGE TO START TALKING ABOUT THE BIRDS & BEES???

I HAVE A 9YROLD DAUGHTER & SHE ASKED ME 1 DAY WHAT A PERIOD WAS??....KIDS THESE DAYS ARE INTRODUCED TO SEING SEX ON TV, MAGAZINES, MUSIC...

cute504dimples

Asked by cute504dimples at 8:52 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• From the time they can talk...they should be having age appropriate convos. By 9, she should know what a period is and and by 10 or 11..should know everything and then some.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:57 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Well, my kids are 3 & 4 and we've already talked sex, masturbation and other things... When I have a girl I will do the same thing. But I will be talking period as well... I was a B cup by the time I was 7 and started my period at 9, so I would make sure everything was covered WAY before that...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I would say about 8.
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 9:13 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• you should have age appropriate conversations as soon as they begin noticing their body or asking such questions. never cover things up or say oh not now i'll tell u when youre older... so frustrating and they will seek the klnowledge elsewhere. just be open adn honest and not confusing and say it is natural but it has a lot to do with being respectful or yoursel fand others. tell girls they NEED to not be abused or trated like garbage. the body is a temple of their soul. boys too, tell them to respect themselves and girls too. this si good information to hear from a parent and will help them stand up for themselves and also not always follwo their peers, especially the sketchy peers who are actually the messed up adults of tomorrow. they need to be responsible for themselves, and that starts with hearing how YOU feel abotu all this. they wil lthank you for it in the way they live their lives or correct their mistakes
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 9:16 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I'll probably start talking to my daughter about it when she's around 4. I never had "the talk" but I knew what pretty much everything was (except how to give oral, and exactly what happened to receive it) before I was 8. I learned what oral was when American Pie came out lol (think I was 10 or 11).
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 9:45 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My son is three....laying the ground work now. I can't imagine asking this question 10 years from now.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:54 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I started talking to my kids when I brought them home from the hospital. I don't think its ever to early to start talking about age appropriate sex related topics, from anatomy, to puberty, to relationships, to the physical act.
    At 9 years old she should know what a period is and by 10 or 11 she should know a lot more about the changes her body is going through to be prepared. You don't have to sit down and talk about having sex or anything that detailed, she asked a question about her period, you answer honestly and give her facts. You just have to keep the lines of communication open, I use TV programs as an tool for teaching. It's a great opportunity to ask kids what they think about teen pregnancy, how to avoid it, what they think about having sex early, what is safe and what is healthy.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 10:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• around 9 or 10 i think is when i will have the talk..shes 6 now, and she has never asked questions about anything!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 1:48 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• She's 9 and has no idea what a period is? I started mine at 10 -- you'd better start talking now! I talked to my kids as soon as they started asking. Even my sons know what a period is.
    RJNEELEY

Answer by RJNEELEY at 8:19 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• If you haven't talked about it until know, it's ok. You've probably talked about subjects that around it, like healthy body (brushing teeth, washing everywhere) and safety (private parts and not letting others touch them). Just answer her questions as simply as possible without avoiding them. She'll ask for clarification or more info, if you aren't being detailed enough. But give her your full attention and time to ask as much as she wants, let her know that you think she needs to know about periods and she or her friends may be getting their periods and tell her what it means. End the conversation with a comment that lets her know she can ask you anything and you would like to tell her more when she is ready. Also, I recommend getting her a book. There's It's so Amazing (which is cartoonish and good for making a tough subject simple) and What's Happening to my Body? (for Girls).
    mellonhead

Answer by mellonhead at 9:19 AM on Sep. 22, 2010