Did anyone smoke cigs their entire pregnancy?

I know its not GOOD to do.. but i have not been able to quit.. :( ive been so stressed out and overwhelmed not only with my new lifestyle as a mommy but my EX has been starting drama and crazyy nonsense since the day he found out I was pregnant. He is just mad that im finally happy and its not with him!! But it just made it so hard to quit and now im 37 wks pregnant..still smoking... i feel horrible..but i know at this point its just not even worth it.

Alyssa_mommy2b

Asked by Alyssa_mommy2b at 8:53 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• no but my sis and sis in law did
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 8:54 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I was told that each cigarette smoked restricts the baby's umbilical cord and its like holding the baby's breath for 3 mins. Also the baby's umbilical cord will be alot thinner than a woman who doesn't. It puts your child at higher risk for asthma and other breathing disorders plus SIDS. I quit that day and haven't picked them back up. It's been hard but I did it for my daughter's health.
    ladyambition

Answer by ladyambition at 8:58 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• it is so hard to stop...thank god that cigg's made me sick so i had to stop right away i even made my husband stop too...if i was not going to do it he was not going to do it too...it is only fair...plus the smoke on him stank like hell so it was smoke free zone...after a month of having my kids i started again

iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 8:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I did and my daughter was born with bronchial asthma and now she can't be around smoke at all or she can't breath. She's 16 now and I quit 9 years ago when i kept taking her to the dr. for resp. infections and she would say to me... did you quit smoking yet? Then she said, "If you don't quit you are going to kill you daugher!"
    mrsnikifrank

Answer by mrsnikifrank at 8:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• my sister did for 2 pregnancies, nothing was ever wrong w her kids, but i wouldnt bc im sure it doesnt always turn out this way
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 9:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• ooook now that last comment just completely freaked me out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I know soooo many girls that smoked through their whole pregnancy and their babies came out perfectly fine... but yea im pretttty freaked out right now......ugh maybe i shouldnt have asked this question lol the last thing i need is to be stressin hard over something else right now ! lol
    Alyssa_mommy2b

Comment by Alyssa_mommy2b (original poster) at 9:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Believe it or not, because I was such a high risk pregnacy, my doctors told me not to quit, I was to stressed out & the quitting smoking would make it worse, (not even two months into carrying my son, I started bleeding..... There was just too much stress) She did how ever make me cut back ALOT. which sucked but I was able to do it. It really bad, I didnt know if I would even be able to have my son..... I was on total bedrest, I was not allowed to do anything, I couldn't even go to school or take on line courses, because the doctors (I seen two different doctors & both told me the same things.) told me it would be too stressful... The whole pregancy was horrable. But I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Thankfully 5 years later i have a perfectly healthy, amazing, beautiful, loving, son.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 9:20 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• thats why i want a + test like now!!!!!!! the minute i see positive test i quit!!!!!! i have 2 see it to believe it i quit for all my pregnancies seeing a preggo woman smoke is my biggest pet peeve
    loomis6

Answer by loomis6 at 9:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My doctor also told me not to quit because of how stressed I was. I was put on bed rest, I had high blood pressure, my dad died right before my daughter was born, I had a lot of bleeding, etc. I cut WAY back, though. The most I smoked (EVER in my LIFE) was the day my dad died. I smoked two packs of Marlboro 72s (the short cigarettes) that day. The rest of my pregnancy, I smoked maybe 4 of 5 72s a day. Every time I tried to quit, my BP went way up and I would start cramping/having contractions and bleeding, and a couple of times I passed out, so my OB just told me to cut back. She came out perfectly healthy. Pretty much every mom I know smoked while they were pregnant, and their babies came out fine, also. But I have known of a couple of people who had a baby that developed asthma in early childhood.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 9:42 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I in no way condone smoking at all during pregnancy because of the underlying risks however i do simpythizewith mothers who cant stop. Every person has different stress and will levels. For some it is easy to quit cold turkey for others it is very difficult. An addiction is an addiction. Smoking is just that. Same thing with drinking some can drink and stop and not care otherwise othets become alcholics. I have had this experience in both my pregnancies with smoking and am a petson that doesnt handle stress very well. Fortunately my 4 year old daughter was perfectly healthy and never gets sick. She hasnt been sick in the four years of her life. That is no exageration. Literally not been sick. Now not to say smoking doesnt effect every pregnancy the same. There are cases where this does turn out badly luckily for me and my child it didnt.
    rc200831

Answer by rc200831 at 1:58 PM on Nov. 7, 2013