at a cross road.....

To spank, or not to spank? Why or why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:54 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• i do but only when i have to
    jesslovesyou08

Answer by jesslovesyou08 at 8:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I've found that putting their fav toy/item in time-out is a really effective way to get the behavior to stop. I try not to spank unless my kids are doing something really dangerous. I've learned over time that spanking just doesn't get the message across. We use the counting method: I start counting and if I get to three there will be consequences (I've never made it to 3 LOL)
    Jackie1081

Answer by Jackie1081 at 9:37 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• This is truly a part of parenthood that cannot be decided by anyone but you.

There are a plethora of studies that show a correlation between spanking and later outward aggression, even delinquency. But remember, correlation is not the same as causation; this means we cannot definitively say that "spanking causes aggression and delinquency."

There are also a ton of various discipline methods that do not utilize corporal punishment. And then there is your child's temperament.

If I were you, I would use Cafemom's search engine and query "spanking" and just sit and read a bit. It helps to see how other moms feel and how they navigated the same issue.
    Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 10:39 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• As an everyday punishment, NO.

A quick swat on the butt (diaper padded, of course) to emphasize fear when a child does something that can REALLY get him hurt, I see nothing wrong with.
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 6:40 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i have and it doesnt work, so i just use time out or take away a toy she really likes.
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 10:31 AM on Sep. 22, 2010