at a cross road.....

To spank, or not to spank? Why or why not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• I never had to with my first she was always real well behaved and my voice scared her enough to stop her of she messed up, now i think it can be necessary if the offense is bad enough but taking away something they like ignoring the behavior etc can be as effective without shaming the child.
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 8:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• for me it depends on the gravity of the situation. i don't spank often.... maybe only 1 time out of the whole year. they have to be doing something extremely dangerous that i have told them specifically not to do. if they don't listen and do it anyway, then i spank. other than that, it's time out. and my kids are well behaved so i guess something's working lol

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I just asked this question the other day and I personally don't believe in spanking. Unless...your child does something to put themselves in danger and words alone are not getting your point across.
    HeatheranninSP

Answer by HeatheranninSP at 9:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• When there is no other alternative to get my child to understand, I will spank.
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 9:20 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I personally don't spank. I have no issue with parents that do, as long as they are not at the point of abuse... but it's not how I roll.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 12:17 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I carried a wooden spoon with me always. My kids listened to me. I didn't like the word no, so I would try to word requests differently. Instead of don't touch, I said just look. I saved no for dangerous situations, do they did listen. however, I was willing to use the spoon, a light tap on the bottom gets the point across. Because they knew I would use the spoon, I hardly ever had to.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 12:54 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Not to spank. Why? I wouldn't want my children to be afraid of me. You can be a parent without having to spank. Besides this day and time some people would say that it's child abuse.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:09 AM on Sep. 22, 2010