The family wants me to visit at Christmas, but it's cheaper to visit during Thanksgiving...what to do?

Online the plane tickets to fly at Christmas time are $485-$500. But the tickets to fly around Thanksgiving are about $300.

As much as I would like my dd and me to share Christmas with the family, it would be better on our budget to go during Thanksgiving.

If you were my relative, would you be hurt or upset?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• I wouldn't be upset. If they were aware of you situation then they would be happy to see the two of you any time of the year. :D
    mrsnikifrank

Answer by mrsnikifrank at 9:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• did you explain the situation to them? that is the best thing to do.... i'm sure they'll understand
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:00 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• No, I wouldn't be upset. I'd be glad that you could come at all. A lot of people are having a hard time right now, so I'd be understanding.
    HeatheranninSP

Answer by HeatheranninSP at 9:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I would be understanding of your situation. I also believe they should be happy to see you whenever you can come.
    avarose2007

Answer by avarose2007 at 9:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Ask if someone could donate their miles to you.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 9:02 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I would understand. With me, I go no where for Christmas, people are welcome to visit me, but with 3 kids it is just easier that way.
    jennient3

Answer by jennient3 at 9:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I would understand, maybe see if someone has extra airmiles or something, or if maybe they would be able to help with the costs? Another option you could do is fly before christmas time as flights are cheaper and have christmas with them before hand? I often find it hard cause im getting pulled in a hundred different directions for holidays, so I just started doing early christmases or easter that way I can still be with everyone.. If that makes any sense?
    RigPrincess85

Answer by RigPrincess85 at 9:16 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• if i were your relative i'd just be happy to see you and personally i would go without waiting for it to be a special day when there are so many people around it makes it hard to really spend time with anyone... but then i'm not huge about holidays versus any other day.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:24 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I would just want my family to visit whenever they could. Yes, I would be dissapointed if they couldn't come when I requested, but at least they would be able to at some point. I think you should do what's right within your budget. Over extending what you can spend just to please family isn't the right choice. You should just let them know that it's better for you to visit when the tickets are cheaper.

Remember to search around for the best price. Check places like Priceline.com, Cheaptickets.com, etc. Get the best quote and then decide.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:34 PM on Sep. 21, 2010