Do you kids attend a Charter School?

Why?
Tell me about it. Do you have to drive them? Is it far from your home?
Why did you pick that school?
Are there many charter options in your area?
Did it cost you a tuition?
What things do they not have? Like Hot lunch, bus service, etc.
Do they have a uniform?

Etc..

Roadfamily6now

Asked by Roadfamily6now at 9:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in

• My son attends a charter high school. He has everything a regular public school has except sports but if he wants to join sports he can do so at our home school. Ours has no tuition, they have hot lunch and kind of uniforms (khakis or cords and a shirt with a collar). I provide transportation but there is busing to and from home schools to the charter school. I chose the charter school because of the small class size (110 kids per grade level 9-12), the expenditionary learning, the community service needed to graduate, the ACT prep that is provided. The family atmosphere of the school. The opportunites that the small school provides. My son's home school has 2500 kids in grades 9-12. Overcrowded and not enough one on one attention that he gets at the charter school. He has all certified and highly qualified teachers, a counselor and a dean that is a psychologist along with a police liason. It was started by Bill & Maria Gate

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:43 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Yes, mine do. It's farther away than their old school, but I think a better choice. They have a separate bus system than the regular schools, but they're still part of the public school corporation in our area. We have 2 charter schools for the elementary level, 1 for middle school and 1 for high school. No cost. Nothing missing! No uniforms. We love it!!!
    RJNEELEY

Answer by RJNEELEY at 8:24 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I work in a high school and I wish our school district had charter schools. It would be so much better for some of our students. We have an alternative (not just the discipline alternative school, but a credit recovery type) but it's not an option for most of the students, because there are qualifications they have to meet to get in. A charter school would really help more of our students succeed.
    KimPippin

Answer by KimPippin at 2:27 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• enrolled yes, attend no, we homeschool and receive funds for classes and materials, and provide work samples to document our progress.

I picked it because it is an alternative to declaring ourselves a private school, the other option for homeschooling in this state. and the funding is nice, it allows a wider range of options for us.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 7:18 PM on Sep. 27, 2010