My sister has an autistic step-son, who I will be introducing to my children, how is the right wy to introduce them?

My son is 5 and the step-son is 6, they will definetly want to play together, is there a need to explain to my son about him, or do I just let them be friends and wait to see if my son has questions.

wyndex9

Asked by wyndex9 at 9:36 PM on Jul. 1, 2008 in General Parenting

• You will be amazed at how quickley they will adjust to each other. I would not make a point out of speaking to him about the autism. That may give him the impression that their is something "wrong " with playing with him. My son has encountered children in Wheel chairs and we just act like it is what it is. He has never asked about them. good luck.
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 9:46 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• If it were me I would not say anything to him. I would allow him to form his own opionion and allow them to get to know each other first and then later if he asks you questions I would then try to explain it to him. Good luck and I hope the meeting goes well!!
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 9:47 PM on Jul. 1, 2008

• My son has a friend from school who is autistic. We know his family, and we wanted them to make friends when they met in Kindergarten (going to 4th now). We have disabilities scattered all through out our family.... blindness, mental retardation, lost limbs and others, so since it wasn't as visible, he didn't really notice any difference at first. He was bothered by an incident that happened at school where his friend acted out, and we just explained that his friend was made different than him. His brain doesn't quite work the same and there is nothing wrong with that. He accepted it and they are still great friends. I'm very lucky to have such an open-minded child! Good luck!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 12:24 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Most children are pretty open minded and non judgemental, at least I know mine are. I wouldn't say anything to your son beforehand because you want him to form his own judgements. If he has questions later about why the other little boy was acting differently, then you can explain to him then and take the questions as they come.
    Bethsunshine

Answer by Bethsunshine at 7:47 AM on Jul. 2, 2008

• Yeah, there's no need unless he has questions. My son went to preschool with a deaf boy and they played just fine! They got over their differences and used body language and such to communicate.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:20 AM on Jul. 2, 2008