Are you pro-choice (in regards to abortion) but anti-marijuana? If so I have a question...

Do you realize the contradition in that statement? How can you be pro-choice in abortion (which has well documented risks) and anti-marijuana (which has little risk) and only affects 1 "person" (because some of you don't view fetuses as people) rather than 2 entities like abortion does?? Just wondering your thoughts on this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:24 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Actually it's not a contradiction at all. Abortion effects the people immediately involved ONLY (the mother, father, baby etc) while pot, like any other drug, can effect so many others. I personally don't want to lose a loved one because someone was out getting high and decided to go for a drive. Or any other dumb thing that seems like such a good idea while the person's inebriated but ends up costing someone else.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 9:32 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I wouldn't know. I'm pro-life and for the legalization of marijuana. Maybe some people would see that as a contradiction, but I don't think so, for many reasons.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 9:34 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• There is no contradiction in the statement. Abortion has risks like any medical procedure but I have yet to hear of anyone in modern times who has died or become infertile or have any other terrible thing happen to them. Marijuana damages the chromosomes of the smoker and if the woman is pregnant doesn't do the fetus well either just on the basis of what it does to chromosomes. Abortion does not impair one's ability to think and reason. Marijuana does. Smoking marijuana makes one a drug addict. It is illegal. Abortion is not. Yet one more difference. There are some thoughts for you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Abortion may have risks but so does pot. I'm not completely against it. I just have a huge problem with the inhalation of it. And as for any kind of "substance" - like alcohol, not everyone has the smarts to not drive on the stuff - whether it is legal or not. I've seen several people toking in their cars and driving over the past 2 months. My kids know it's not a good choice, just as drinking and driving is nuts too.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 9:42 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• abortion only effects the women getting it and anybody who may care about the situation.

pot smoking effects people who are driving on the roads and comming in contact with the stoned idiots.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:47 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I am pro-choice and abortion is legal. I am against marijuana use because it's illegal. If it becomes illegal, then I'll be pro-choice concerning marijuana. Sounds consistent to me!
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 9:47 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• so you're all for the prohibition of guns and booze then? (those of you against pot)
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 10:15 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Hello strawman theory.

by the by: I am pro both. But, your linking the two is funny.
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 10:36 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• urkidding: me, or the OP?
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 10:50 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I guess I am pro-choice for others because it is none of my business what women do about their pregnancy. And I guess pot smoking can harm more than one person---there IS second hand smoke and if a woman is stupid enough to smoke while pregnant,there is neurological damage to the baby. ADHD, high,piercing crying,etc.
    But ---that's about all I have to say.
    Smoke 'em if you got 'em. That is YOUR problem, if you smoke pot...and your family's problem if they are in your home or your uterus.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2010