What's better for you? Store bought whole wheat bread or home made white bread?

Erica_Smerica

Asked by Erica_Smerica at 9:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I'd rather eat homemade white bread than store bought whole wheat. Have you read the labels on store bread? Give me flour, yeast, water, sugar and salt over additives and preservatives any day, no matter how much "whole wheat flour" it has in it.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• whole wheat all the way . . . and i bake it myself
    MsIrene05

Answer by MsIrene05 at 10:25 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• id go whole wheat. but it has to be 100%
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 9:33 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• depends on your definition of "better for you". i imagine,. dont quote me. but nutritionally i think the whole wheat would be better. now making bread at home may be be a savings of money and be better on your budget. but hey. im just guessing. did you bake some. i bet it smells good. and tastes yummy.
    RoseWall

Answer by RoseWall at 9:33 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• yeah. i guess whole grain whole wheat would be even better for you!
    RoseWall

Answer by RoseWall at 9:34 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Whole wheat. It's the flour that's used that makes it good v. bad and the additional grains, etc in the store-bought product...
    stringtheory

Answer by stringtheory at 9:38 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• homemade white without a doubt. have you read the ingredients on the store bought wheat? There are like 80 items and you can't pronounce any of them! YUCK.
    RJNEELEY

Answer by RJNEELEY at 8:12 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I would think homemade white bread - it doesn't have all the preservatives that store-bought bread has. Also, many of the wheat breads you can buy aren't any more healthy than the white, the wheat is processed so much it loses a lot of the benefits of real whole wheat.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:44 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Whole wheat is better for you period, doesn't matter if it's store bought or otherwise (ok yeah excluding all the extra preservatives). I wish I could get my DH to change over. I was buying whole wheat white bread (made by Mrs. Baird's if you need to double check me on that) for a while, but he snuck and got regular white last time.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:47 PM on Sep. 22, 2010