I need ideas for dealing with my preemie baby who's still fussy at 8 months.

I had twin preemie boys, born at 32 weeks. They are 8 months now (I also have a 19 month old boy). One has been fussier, harder to soothe, and demanding. He is very hard to make happy and fusses at the drop of the hat. He cries himself to sleep. It is not a pain cry, hungry or wet cry. He wants to be held to sleep. He was going to bed on his own with his binky
I'm living with my folks, who make it hard. I would typically go in and hand him his binky, pat his back and leave without picking him up. They go and pick him up and tell me to pick him up. Nothing I do pleases him. I sometimes wonder where he came from, he's nothing like his brothers, and I get so frustrated with him.

How can I help him be happier and more tolerant of the world around him? Anyone else have a very fussy baby that didn't turn out to be a whiny and easy to cry kid?

mommyonhawaii

Asked by mommyonhawaii at 10:07 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sounds like it's just his personality sweetie.
    Anonymous

• my son is 7 months and i usually feed him or give him a bath... if that doesnt work i give him a ton of toys and let him crawl around
    Anonymous

• take him for a walk outside... babies LOVE outside
    Anonymous

• that's what I'm worried about, he's going to have a rough life if it is his personality. My MIL, SIL and BIL are all like that, maybe that's why I have such a hard time with him. I swear those 3 always have some issue and are always in a pissy mood. They are very difficult people to be around. DH had a hard time with his brother growing up, he's praying our boy grows out of this.
    mommyonhawaii

Answer by mommyonhawaii at 10:14 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• He plays for awhile, doesn't like being on the floor, but likes his exersaucer. And he hates the stroller, I have a triplet stroller, but rarely use it because he screams. He does like car rides, but I'm not about to get into the habit of lulling him with car rides. It's exhausting, I've tried everything and it's been a difficult 8 months.
    mommyonhawaii

Answer by mommyonhawaii at 10:16 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• give him a frozen teething ring... even if h is not tething it might still help the fussiness for a lil while
    Anonymous

• I would first speak to your family members about picking him up. They need to respect your wishes as his parent and are only teaching him to cry/fuss to get what he wants. Good Luck!
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 11:07 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Yea, I'd tell your parents that you are the parent and it's your choice to parent how you wish. Do you have a sound machine or anything to run to tell him its nightnight time?
    Kayere

Answer by Kayere at 11:24 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• there is a great new product that may help. www.magicsleepsuit.com. Its a sleeper that helps calm babies and sleep better and longer. Check out the site and all the benefits.
    Anonymous