My kiddo doesn't want to go to the grandparents

We sold our house in March and lived with my in laws for about 6 months and have just gotten our own place. Now my 3 yr old son doesn't want to go over there and keeps saying he doesn't love them anymore. Has anyone else had this problem or have any advice.

hjpmommy

Asked by hjpmommy at 9:36 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Did you ask him why or what happened to make him feel this way
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:37 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Yes but he won't elaborate, he is just totally against going there. I think he may be afraid that we may be moving back. I don't know.
    hjpmommy

Comment by hjpmommy (original poster) at 9:48 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Explain to him that you're only going to visit and that his grandparents love him and want to visit with him. You should continue taking him for short visits and also continue trying to help him articulate why he doesn't want to go there and why he doesn't love them anymore. You can't be sure something didn't happen or he might've gotten the wrong idea about something he saw or heard.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:14 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I agree, maybe he is thinking you are going to stay again? Any chance something happened at G&G's that you might not be aware of?
    Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 10:35 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• That is my greatest worry is that they did something to him to get him upset. I worry more about my fil because he has told my son when he was singing to shut the f*** up. That didn't fly obviously but what about when we aren't there?
    hjpmommy

Comment by hjpmommy (original poster) at 10:51 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Without a good reason, you can't just not let him go over there. Maybe you should stay with him a few times so he won't think that you are moving back in with them. Tell him where you live now is your home, and that won't change.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:51 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Have them come visit you a few times before going there to visit. And, honestly, if your FIL is telling your son to STFU when he's singing, he needs a good talking to. That made me mad for you!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 6:38 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• maybe he thinks hes going to have to stay. just explain that its just a visit
    tonyalynn

Answer by tonyalynn at 10:30 AM on Sep. 22, 2010