did nipple stimulation work for you to start labor?? if not, what did?? adult content

I'm not big on the idea of trying to jump start labor but my doctor said today i really need to go into labor before my due date or right around it because I'm attempting a vbac this time and the bigger the baby gets the less my chances are of doing it naturally. He said I could try nipple stimulation. Did this work for anyone? I really want to have this vbac so I want my labor to get moving!

luvsgriffin

Asked by luvsgriffin at 9:40 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Absolutely nothing worked for me. I was in the hospital for a month before being induced. I tried a lot....spicey foods, pineapple, I paced/walked and exercised in my room every day, even sex in the bathroom of my room. Nothing brought on labor.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:42 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• However, I was on that med to keep me from going into labor the first 3 weeks for being in early labor. Then when they took me off that med I just continued having speratic contractions, etc. But I was induced for LOW LOW LOW amneotic fluid.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:43 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• THe day I went into labor I had been to the doctor for my 39 week check up, went shopping at Target, came home and did some work and then cooked dinner, ate some pineapple (not on purpose lol) and then got in the shower and had sex and I had contractions before even getting out of the shower, I wasnt trying to bring on labor it just happned that way lol
    fangedangel32

Answer by fangedangel32 at 9:44 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• my friend went into labor after using her breast pump, and having sex
    Nothing worked for me though
    ended up induced for all 3 kids
    jennient3

Answer by jennient3 at 9:45 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• yeah...I don't have the option of being induced because he doesnt want to raise the risk of uterine rupture. Which I understand and I dont really like pitocin anyway but I just hope I go into labor on my own
    luvsgriffin

Comment by luvsgriffin (original poster) at 9:45 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Has your OB tried scraping your membrane's? worked great for my sister, I had it done twice and after the second time I went into labor about 2 day's later
    heathers5500

Answer by heathers5500 at 9:51 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• No he didn't mention it today but Ill be sure to ask him! anything to not have a c section again!
    luvsgriffin

Comment by luvsgriffin (original poster) at 9:53 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I am in midwifery school and was actually reading an article that addressed nipple stimuation for labor induction just recently. Its efficacy has really only been studied in low-risk pregnancies, which being that you are VBAC, I wouldn't necessarily consider you as low risk as these studies' participants. In low risk pregnancies, nipple stimulation showed a slight decrease in incidence of post partum hemmorhage, but an associated risk for uterine tachysystole (hyperstimulation) and increased trend in perinatal death. The study I read states, "Until safety issues are studied further, this practice is not recommended in an unmonitored setting." This study is from 2009. So, I guess I'm saying if it were me, I would not try this.

I have also been reading that unless your cervix is really ready (ripe) and you are soon to go into labor anyway, many induction techniques are not successful. I understand your (and dr's)
    kmseager

Answer by kmseager at 9:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• desire for your to go into labor before your baby is too big, but as much as we try sometimes, it's not always possible to force yourself into labor (even with all the fancy induction techniques) unless your body is really ready.

Best wishes to you for your second delivery.

I also noticed your username is luvsgriffin, which I find so awesome....my son's name is Griffin! :)
    kmseager

Answer by kmseager at 9:58 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• ha thanks kmseager! I love the name if I do say so my self!!
    luvsgriffin

Comment by luvsgriffin (original poster) at 10:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2010