how often should i go to school and check on my preschooler's progress?

we are not living in the US, and my child goes to private school here. the school system here is very different, and we do not hear much about my child's progress or daily activities, other than when i ask him. granted, school only began 8 weeks ago, i want to talk to his teacher and find out what is going on and how he is doing and how he is behaving. do you think it is okay for me to do so at this point?

Luisa621

Asked by Luisa621 at 9:41 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in

• Definitely! You're the parent- and I'm sure if you spoke to the teacher, he/she would be more than happy to help answer your questions and give you an update. My daughter is in preschool and I sometimes feel like I'm not getting a lot of feedback, but then I just ask her teacher and she gives me an honest update. I think part of it is that these teachers are so busy they don't have time to give feedback each day- but if you are persistent in asking, they'll be more likely to answer. Good luck!
    josiesmom19

Answer by josiesmom19 at 9:57 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Most definitely. Do other Americans attend the school? Can you talk to them about communication with the school?
    Where are you? You say you ask him. Is the preschool teacher a male? Do you see the teacher when you drop off or pick up?
    Is there a set conference schedule?
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:45 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Sure, they should have an open door policy. Call ahead to make an appointment to see the teacher/principal. No problem.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:45 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Do you pick him up everyday? When mine were in pre-school I would talk to the teacher almost daily, or at least a couple times a week just to see how he did that day or that week
    KimPippin

Answer by KimPippin at 2:25 PM on Sep. 25, 2010

• I don´t pick him up, our employees do, and they will go in and ask, but I kind of wish they would send notes like the schools in America do. I don´t see the other parents, I only dropped him off and picked him up twice from school.. He is not in school right now because we are in America, but when we go back home and he returns to Preschool in January, I am definetly going to make it a point to drop him off or pick him up each day so that I am able to see and speak to his teacher at least once a week.. it is kind of frustrating.
    Luisa621

Comment by Luisa621 (original poster) at 2:00 AM on Oct. 31, 2010