What should I do when I bring my 3 year old to the dentist for the first time?

About to bring my 3 year old to the dentist- and I'm terrified! What do I do to make her more comfortable and let them clean her mouth?

josiesmom19

Asked by josiesmom19 at 9:53 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Health

• She may have no problem with it. If she does, sit in the chair with her sitting on you. Has she ever gone with you when you had an appointment? That would be a good thing to do.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:56 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Try to relax. She will pick up on your insecurities and will be terrified if you are. My son was a champ when he went, and I hate the dentist!!!!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:57 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• That's a great idea- I'm terrified of the dentist though! ;) I think she will pick up on that!
    josiesmom19

Comment by josiesmom19 (original poster) at 9:58 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Just make sure she knows it is a good place and the dentist is there to help her learn how to keep her teeth clean and healthy.
    jshimmy

Answer by jshimmy at 10:35 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• lol, I read your post because I was going to make my DD an appointment (she'll be three in december).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:55 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• as long as you remain calm and speak in low calm tones she should be ok as long as she sees that mommy says the dentist is good then she should be alright just stay close to her and reassure her that its ok and the dentist is not going to hurt her even let the dentist work on you too ( just demonstrate) if that will make her feel better
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 4:33 AM on Sep. 22, 2010