Fits at the store

My 3 yr old has been having a breakdown everytime we go to the store. He thinks he needs to get something but we don't have the time or the money for all of that. he just won't listen then just screams and falls to the ground, any suggestions would be appreciated.

hjpmommy

Asked by hjpmommy at 9:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Warn them before leaving for the store, that you are going to the store to get.....be specific, and that is all we are going for. Tell them that you expect them to behave and not ask for anything. If they misbehave you will leave the store, now you may have to follow through with this but do it. Next time warn them and tell them that they may be put in a time out, again follow through and stick to it, it gets easier. Don't let any of the screaming or anything like that bother you. We who are parents have been there.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Thanks it is hard when people give you the stink eye. But I will definently do this. Thanks.
    hjpmommy

Comment by hjpmommy (original poster) at 10:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• When he goes to pieces, explain to him that he has to stop or he will be removed. If he does not stop, pick him up and take him to the car.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 10:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Don't buy them anything until they earn it by acting right and what poster above said
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 10:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I agree with the first answer and that is what i do with my daughter. I don't care if people give me dirty looks because im sure everyone who has had kids has been there before.
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 10:07 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I agree with the first reply, but in addition . . . . I would have a short chat before leaving the house that we are going out and that on this trip, we probably won't be able to get them anything, they can look, but maybe on the next trip it might be ok to pick something out.
    MsIrene05

Answer by MsIrene05 at 10:10 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• When mine were little, I would reinforce that we were only going for XX and nothing else. They weren't to ask and if they did, they knew the answer would be no. They also quickly learned that throwing a tantrum never - and I mean NEVER - got me to change my mind. You have to remind them ahead of time and be consisten.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:12 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• These are all great answers. Thanks I will try the not budging thing. I am a real weiny when it comes to my guy. I am over anxious that he will hate me forever. Goofy I know, just my childhood rearing its ugly head.
    hjpmommy

Comment by hjpmommy (original poster) at 10:20 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I only had to leave a store and a full cart once. There were plenty of times they whined, DO NOT GIVE IN. If it gets overly loud, be willing to leave the store.
    Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 10:34 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I don't budge either. If my daughter wants to act like a "baby" and throw a fit, I'll pick her up and put her in the carriage instead of letting her walk around. That's strike one and I tell her as much. She gets a warning at that point. If it continues, I'll tell her if she keeps it up, we'll leave and get nothing. That's strike two. If, at that point, it continues, I'll take her out of the carriage and remove her from the store. I try to make sure all the things I NEED to get, I get on my lunch breaks at work, that way, leaving the store when she's having a tantrum doesn't interfere too much...and, eventually, it'll get the message across. Good luck!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 6:36 AM on Sep. 22, 2010