How can I help my son have a BM w/o meds???

He hasn't pooped in a week!! He is almost 5mo old...any suggestions?

cjackson1982

Asked by cjackson1982 at 10:10 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• apple juice. no more than 4 ounces a day. had to take my son off apple juice because he was pooping 5 times a day. hope that helps
    mybabychunk

Answer by mybabychunk at 10:14 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Sometimes babies can go a week without having a BM. My son gets breastmilk and has gone a little over a week without any. If it seems like your son is constipated, you can take his temperature rectally. My son's physician told us that we could do that to get things moving if we thought he needed to have a BM.
    TeaAndrews

Answer by TeaAndrews at 10:16 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Baby food prunes
    Klomas1988

Answer by Klomas1988 at 10:25 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• If baby is breastfed I would not worry. If baby was just introduced to foods this is to be expected and perhaps you could try prune juice (cut with water) to help things along. Another solution is a bit of warm water or belly messages.

A little FYI, Karo Syrup can harbor botulism spores, contact your doctor before ever using it. You can check Karo's website they also do NOT recommend using Karo for infants.

Anonymous

• You can put a little vaseline on the end of a q-tip, and GENTLY rub it on the inside of his little (sorry, but there is really no other way to say this) butt hole. Also, there are pediatric glycerin suppositories that work well. I would give him about 1/4 to 1/2 of it to begin with. I think I'd try the qtip first though. Worked with my son! Good luck!
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 10:52 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• i WOULD try a rectal themometer with vasiline on it, take his temp rectally, and remove it slowly, works good for my LO. But i wouldnt do it all the time for fear that they may never go on there own
    Med109

Answer by Med109 at 11:22 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• sometimes a gentle stomach massage or a nice warm bath might help too if you haven't already tried it.
    Keri77

Answer by Keri77 at 12:17 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• The info given above is all good advice. You could always call your doctor. The nurse will take your child's symptoms and consult with your pediatrician as to the best way to help your child. NEVER give a baby under 1 year of age Karo Syrup or Honey or you will be spending 2 - 6+ months in the hospital with your child due to Infant Botulism--personal experience. If you are curious about the symptoms, you can search the internet. My son was constipated for five days before we took him to a clinic (not his doc because it was the weekend). The infant botulism symptoms occurred slowly over the next four days before we rushed him to the emergency room.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:20 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• i had this problem as well at 3 months. i talked to the dr and was told that because she's breast fed that she won't go as much as a formula baby. as long as her stomach wasn't feeling hard, she wasn't straining to have a poop or she was being way more fussy than normal that it was normal for BF babies. if it was really bothering me i could take her temp rectally, give her prune juice, apple juice or pear juice (if this is a new introduction make sure to wait 3-4 days before giving something else new), massage her belly and pull her legs up to her belly or insert 1/2 of a infant glycerin suppository. i know that when we were younger my mom gave us karo, but i've read in AAP books to NEVER do that.
    Tarable525

Answer by Tarable525 at 12:44 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• My son always had a hard time and we had to give him any kind of clear juice about 6-8oz a day and then he would be able to go.
    mrsmilander

Answer by mrsmilander at 1:23 AM on Oct. 20, 2008