Screaming Toddler... HELP!!!

My daughter just turned one year old. Since she was about 7 months old, she started this screaming thing- not upset most of the time, just random screaming. It has gotten increasingly worse as she gets older... she screams when she's happy, excited, and sometimes even just playing/relaxing! I have tried to cope by ignoring it, shushing her, holding her, giving her a snack or her cup... but nothing works. Last night we hit our breaking point while out to dinner. She screamed so loud and so long, We ended up boxing up our dinner and going home. We paid attention to her, she had food to eat- in fact, she even shrieked with food in her mouth! I could feel eyes on us, I quickly developed a headache, and I have never been so embarrassed in my life. As soon as we walked out of the restaurant, the screaming ceased. I feel like we can't take her anywhere anymore. Has anyone else gone through this... how do you handle it?

ZoesMommy0907

Asked by ZoesMommy0907 at 10:11 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't know :) my 15 month old does the same thing! I hope someone can answer your question.
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 10:15 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• my twins do it they are 15monnths to. They do it to relax and get some energy ouut. like whenn they cry b4 bbed.
    mama2twins07

Answer by mama2twins07 at 10:52 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• My niece used to do that. I'd make her sit in time out until she stopped. She HATED time out. But she learned not to scream like that.
    AuntieM

Answer by AuntieM at 12:09 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• My 15 month old does this. There is nothing that I do that will make him stop, atleast not for more than 1 second... I guess its just a stage... a very long one..
    Luisa621

Answer by Luisa621 at 12:09 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• Distraction worked on my little girl when she did this. I tried to offer her something as soon as I heard her start to shriek, and it worked---most of the time. It didn't last too long because once she could communicate what she wanted, we were all happy. Best of luck!
    jennybear33

Answer by jennybear33 at 12:47 AM on Oct. 20, 2008

• have you noticed that she screams when there is alot of noise arround? (autism)
    i know that its not something anyone wants to hear - talk to your pedi about what could be the cause of this...
    vakatia

Answer by vakatia at 2:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2008