What to do if you suspect your teen of using drugs?

Lovelymee23

Asked by Lovelymee23 at 10:20 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in General Parenting

• Talk to them... My DH is an addict (in recovery), my father is an addict, my BIL, SIL and her fiance are all addicts... I can't imagine they will grow up watching their father struggle, and watching these other people fall deeper and deeper in to the gutter and still choose to use, but if they do, we'll talk to them and deal with it as it comes. I used for years... It's not like most kids won't try them. But I think if you educate them about the dangers and they are in a spot, like mine are, where they can actually see the truth behind what they are being told, it's not quite the battle.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:47 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Make them take an at home pee test, if the fail go through their room to see if they have any drugs and get rid of it
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:21 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• What kind of drugs?? Talk to them, look through their things, talk to friends parents, ground them....I think what you do depends on the situation...
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:24 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Any type of drug..just wanted to put it out there..ya know
    Lovelymee23

Comment by Lovelymee23 (original poster) at 10:32 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• First, I would talk to my teen and see if I felt he was being honest with me. If I didn't feel that he was honest, I would buy an at-home drug test at the drug store and make him take it. Then I would take appropriate action.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 12:11 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Are you aware that drug stores now carry an at home drug test? I saw it one day and was surprised that you can actually buy one. I haven't had the need to use one on my kids yet, but if you don't think the results are right, contact the child's doctor and see what they can tell you.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:30 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• When they were at school, I would totally search their room. After all it is my house. If their behavior is changing, it could also be something else. I would get as much info as I could, then I would talk to them.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 12:50 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• get a court order drug test done...

iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 1:43 AM on Sep. 22, 2010