Have you or someone you know given birth while standing or squatting?

Its something I'm interested in doing. Like let gravity take effect. Did it go over well with you or the person you know? Was it easier or harder to give birth this way?

reigndrops12689

Asked by reigndrops12689 at 10:22 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was a labor coach for a friend whose partner was deployed. She chose a Birthing center that had 'birthing chairs". It is a far more natural position in my opinion. She chose the same method for her next 2 kids and was very, very happy. Look around at birthing centers in your area and see if they off the choice.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:29 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Hehe....no. I had all three in hospitals, I felt a lot safer about giving birth on a bed. But I am sure there will be many women here who love doing it standing up or maybe hanging from a chandelier,if you know what I mean.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:30 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• my third and fifth babies were born in a standing/ squatting position. #3 practically fell out! #5 was sunny side up and a little painful, but that position was better than the tub, and better than on my back on my bed and better than on my hands and knees and better than on my side on my bed!
    During labor you can be free to try several positions...if you are not in the hospital : )
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 10:36 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Physics do not lie... the force of gravity can't be denied!
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 11:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Yes, this is normal.

I had one reclined (hard!) and one on my knees, upright.
    (MUCH better!!!!!)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 11:38 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I know someone that did it, but I never would... I like my epidural way to much!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:43 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I used the squat for my 4th baby. It was in a hospital. they broke down the bed and attached a squat bar.
    I then delivered one baby on hands and knees. Great position by the way, really lets things open up!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 1:11 AM on Sep. 22, 2010